Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
February 29, 2016
This Week's Features
Get Involved! Engineering Student Council Seeks Officers
The Engineering Student Council seeks applicants for its officer positions. As part of the ESC executive board, you will represent students and student organizations of the College of Engineering to the administration, faculty, and the public as well as coordinate and support activities involving engineering students and engineering student organizations. It is a great opportunity to gain leadership and team working experience as you have to work with the representatives of all of the engineering organizations and the other ESC executives. The time commitment is just a few hours a week. The available positions are: 1) President (need to have been involved with ESC somehow for more than a term to qualify for President) 2) VP of Information and Communications 3) VP of Development 4) VP of Outreach and Events and 5) VP of Finance and Administration.
School of MIME Winter Awards Banquet
School of MIME students, faculty and staff -- please join Alpha Pi Mu, the industrial engineering honor society, for the 2016 MIME Winter Awards Banquet. This dinner recognizes the school's outstanding seniors and the outstanding faculty selected by student ballot. The dinner is free, but please RSVP. Dress is business casual.
MIME Winter Awards Banquet | DATE: Mon., Mar 7 | TIME: 6-8 pm | PLACE: MU Horizon Room
Mark Your Calendar
MIME and NSE Women in Engineering Social
This is an event for MIME and NSE women engineers to learn more about your opportunities within Oregon State and get advice about internships, research opportunities, and more. The Women in Engineering Program is hosting a social for all women in MIME and NSE: undergrads, faculty/staff and graduate students. Come hear about faculty and graduate students' valuable experiences while enjoying a plate of delicious appetizers!
Women in Engineering Program Social | DATE: Thurs., March 3 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
OSU AIAA Hosts 2016 Student Paper Conference, April 1-3
Oregon State's AIAA chapter is this year's host of the 2016 AIAA Region VI Student Paper Conference -- a student run conference for peers around the western U.S. who are interested in aerospace. The conference, which runs April 1-3 at Oregon State, includes a technical research paper competition for undergraduate and Master’s students, a tour of Columbia Helicopters, talks from distinguished speakers in aerospace fields, and professional and social networking events. It is an amazing opportunity to connect with professionals with in aerospace industry and education as well as other students with similar interests. You do not have to submit an abstract to attend the conference, but there is a $20 registration fee which cover meals and industry tours.
Conference Highlights include:
- Tour of Columbia Helicopters
- Hear from distinguished speakers
- Speed mentoring
- Six meals included in registration fee
- Student presentation on current research in the field of aerospace
Fri., March 4
MIME Graduate Defense: "Applications of an Agent-based Approach to Automated Structure Design," by Robin Kiff, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 9:00 AM, Kearney 311.
MPRL Opening Hours – Winter Term, Week 9
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 4 - 5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
Additive Manufacturing at Missouri University of Science and Technology
Missouri University of Science and Technology will be hosting an REU Site in Additive Manufacturing this summer. They seek exceptional undergraduate students, particularly those underrepresented in engineering, to conduct research with us this summer.
Engineering Research Opportunity in Washington
The Washington University Summer Engineering Fellowship research program allows undergraduate students the choice to study any research topic within the School of Engineering & Applied Science at Washington University. The program provides a $5,000 stipend, travel costs to/from St. Louis, and on-campus housing. Apply by March 1.
Florida State Summer REU
The Florida State University Dept. of Mechanical Engineering seeks students to join their NSF-funded summer REU program entitled, "Multi-Physics of Active Systems and Structures." The REU program goal is to provide undergraduate students in mechanical engineering and related fields an opportunity to participate in ongoing active research programs, including the development of micro air vehicles, multi-modal robots, active flow control, aeroacoustics, sensors and actuators, smart materials, energy harvesting and storage, etc. Apply by March 4.
Hydro Research Foundation Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation is leading the Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. The awards – which include a living stipend of up to $18,000 and a tuition-and-allowance of up to $10,000 – are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. In 2016, the Foundation anticipates making one-year awards to between 4-10 students. Applications are due March 14, 2016, for appointments beginning June 2016 for one-year funding.
REU on Security Printing and Anti-Counterfeiting Technology
This NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates Site at South Dakota School of Mines and Technology (SDSMT), the University of South Dakota (USD) and South Dakota State University, provides undergraduate students a chance to conduct cutting-edge research focused on security printing and anti-counterfeiting technology. Counterfeiting is a growing issue in the U.S., posing serious economic, safety and national security concerns. The REU program is a multi-disciplinary program with research opportunities in Materials Science and Engineering, Materials Chemistry, Electrical/Computer Engineering, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Apply by March 18.
Great Minds in STEM (GMiS) 2016 HENAAC Scholarships
Graduating high school seniors, undergraduate students and graduate students, who intend to or are currently pursuing a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) degree at an accredited college/university in the U.S. or Puerto Rico, are encouraged to apply for the merit-based Great Minds in STEM scholarships. Students must have an overall minimum 3.0 GPA and must be of Hispanic descent or demonstrate strong leadership or service within the Hispanic community. Scholarship awards range from $500 - $10,000. Apply by April 30.
Job and Internship Opportunities
HP has an early-career position Business Operations Manager (less than 5 years’ experience) for a candidate with a background in supply chain/planning/operations. The Business Operations Manager will be part of a business planning team supporting HP’s print organization in Corvallis. Apply at www.hp.com/jobs - job # 1490294
HP seeks applicants for the Mechanical Procurement Engineer Internship-1492097 opportunity. This is an intern position for a Sourcing Engineer within the CDPS, Central Direct Procurement and Sourcing, organization. As part of this team you will partner with R&D, Manufacturing to develop and deliver capable materials in support of New Product Introduct.
The Construction Branch of the US Army Corps of Engineers Portland District will be looking to hire 10-15 Pathways Interns this summer. The positions have been posted onto USAJOBS.gov at the link listed and will be open until March 10, 2016. https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/430700300/
Meggitt is a global engineering group specializing in extreme environment products and smart sub-systems for aerospace, defense and energy markets. We employ over 11,000 people across manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe, North America, with regional bases in India and the Middle East. The Continuous Improvement (CI) Specialist focuses on applying Continuous Improvement principles and methodologies to drive change in a hands-on manner. This position’s focus is to reduce waste and process losses, improve productivity, and increase individual awareness of each employee’s role in the success of the business.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership has Internship Opportunities (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9861
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership has Engineering Internships (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9863
- International Paper seeks a Manufacturing Management Associate Location: 18 locations across the U.S. Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10083
- Wabash National seeks a Continuous Improvement Coordinator Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9920
- Nolan Transportation Group seeks a Carrier Operations Specialist Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10346
- Precision Castparts Corp. has an Operations Management Development Program Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9968
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks a Co-op and Internship Program Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9971
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education has Research Experiences/Internships Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States, Morgantown, West Virginia United States, Albany, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 5160
- Anjaneyap Global Inc seeks an Entry Level Business Analyst and Quality Analyst Location: Milpitas, California Job ad expires on: 3/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10076
- Grakon LLC seeks a Thermal Testing Intern Location: Kent, WA Job ad expires on: 3/20/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10121
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks a HVAC Careers Location: Tualatin, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10193
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks an AutoCAD Drafter / Assistant Estimator Location: Tualatin, OR Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10184
- NVIDIA seeks a MECHANICAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10156
- NVIDIA seeks a THERMAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10157
- ENERGY NORTHWEST has Summer 2016 Internships Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10233
- AAA Metal Fabrication seeks a Design/Mechanical Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10236
- Sagetech Corporation seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: White Salmon, WA Job ad expires on: 3/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10260
- Hitachi Consulting seeks a Senior Consultant Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 3/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10638
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory has University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7962
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8675
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8676
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Supply Chain Management Rotational Program Location: Beaverton, OR; San Jose, CA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8679
- Xerox seeks a Process Engineer - Chemical (New College Hire) Location: Wilsonville, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9550
- Texas Instruments seeks a Manufacturing Supervisor Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9697
- WaferTech has Engineering Internships Location: Camas, WA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9760
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- University at Buffalo - SUNY seeks an Assistant Teaching Professor in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department to start fall 2016. Posting number 1600015. Position is open until filled.
- University of Louisville Department of Industrial Engineering seeks applicants for an Assistant Professor Term Position in Industrial Engineering (Job ID No.: UL509). Open until filled.
- The School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University is seeking exceptional candidates for a tenured or tenure-track faculty position in areas related to computational thermo-fluid sciences. Open until filled.
- The Department of Industrial, Manufacturing, & Systems Engineering (IMSE) at the University of Texas at Arlington invites applications for multiple tenure-track positions in a) engineering management and (b) complex systems modeling. Applications accepted until positions are full.
- The University of Washington, Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engineering invites applications for a full-time lecturer position in the broad areas of Industrial & Systems Engineering. Apply by March 1.
- The Department of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management at Western New England University seeks applications and nominations for the position of Chair of the Department of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM) starting in Fall 2016. Apply by March 1.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at California State University, Sacramento invites applications for a tenure-track position in the area of thermal science, product design, and sustainability. Apply by March 1.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- UCLA, the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department of the Naval Postgraduate School is inviting applications from electron Microscopy Specialists to fulfill a research assistant professor position to support the research and development of a variety of materials including metals, ceramics, carbon-based materials and composites. Apply by April 1.
- NEW -- The Russ College of Engineering and Technology at Ohio University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor Position in Industrial and Systems Engineering. Apply by April 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Vanderbilt University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of nanomaterials, for solving critical energy issues. Apply by May 1.
- The Jet Propulsion Laboratory at California Institute of Technology has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar. The study is in the area of Direct Numerical Simulation (DNS) and Large Eddy Simulation (LES) of high-pressure turbulent reactive flows. Applicants should e-mail the following material: 1. A complete Curriculum Vitae, with lists of (i) refereed journal publications and (ii) name, address, e-mail and telephone number of at least three references. 2. An electronic copy for each of his/her most recent journal publications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.