Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
February 22, 2016
This Week's Features
Buy Raffle Tickets and Support the Food Drive
Students from chapter groups SME, APM and IIE are selling raffle tickets at the table in front of 237 Rogers. A winning ticket will get you a gift card at our favorites -- Café Yumm, Interzone, Qdoba or Dutch Bros. And the $1-ticket price will benefit the Linn/Benton County Food Drive. This is potentially a win-win-win opportunity – how many tickets will you buy? Hours for buying the raffle tickets are 10 am to 4 pm, this week.
School of MIME Winter Awards Banquet
School of MIME students, faculty and staff -- please join Alpha Pi Mu, the industrial engineering honor society, for the 2016 MIME Winter Awards Banquet. This dinner recognizes the school's outstanding seniors and the outstanding faculty selected by student ballot. The dinner is free, but please RSVP. Dress is business casual.
MIME Winter Awards Banquet | DATE: Mon., Mar 7 | TIME: 6-8 pm | PLACE: MU Horizon Room
Project X Group Will Advance STEM Outreach
Project X invites you to a kick-off meeting; come learn how you can get involved. Project X is dedicated to connecting Oregon State University faculty interested in sponsoring outreach in STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics) fields with Oregon State University graduate and undergraduate students dedicated to completing STEM outreach activities. Outreach activities sponsored by Project X will include but are not limited to:
• Sponsorship of senior capstone projects in the school of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering (MIME) at Oregon State University
• Development of dynamic, multimedia curriculum aids Foster interdisciplinary relationships to extend outreach to other STEM fields
• Development of multimedia YouTube videos intended to further STEM education and encourage high school students to pursue tertiary education.
Thursdays meeting will include a live science demo using a giant Newton's cradle as a well as a science trivia quiz show.
Project X - General Interest Meeting | DATE: Thurs., Feb 25 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Mark Your Calendar
CBEE Heterogeneous Catalysis Seminar
The School of CBEE and Environmental Engineering invites you to a seminar with Prof. Manos Mavrikakis, University of Wisconsin - Madison Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering. The discussion covers "Heterogeneous Catalysis: Reaction Mechanisms and Materials Discovery from first-principles." Manos Mavrikakis is the Paul A. Elfers Professor and the Vilas Distinguished Achievement Professor of Chemical Engineering at UW-Madison.
CBEE Heterogeneous Catalysis Seminar | DATE: Mon., Feb. 22 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: Kearney 305
UC Berkeley’s Dr. Alice Agogina Presents “Value Design”
Alice M. Agogino from the University of California at Berkeley, will discuss "Value Design,” for the MIME Winter Seminar Series. The seminar will cover how quality design is credited with providing a powerful competitive advantage to businesses and driving successful innovation. Metrics for measuring the value of design have included performance ratings, financial metrics), expert evaluations, creativity metrics, process metrics, and societal impact. A survey of research in selected design metrics will be presented along with a discussion of what metrics might be used to differentiate a university’s curricula and research programs.
Value Design | DATE: Tues., Feb. 23 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: Kearney 112
Wed., Feb. 24
MIME Graduate Defense: "Multi Objective Aerodynamic Design in Formula SAE," by Phillip Arscott, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 11 AM, Rogers 226.
Fri., March 4
MIME Graduate Defense: "DNS of Particle-bed—Turbulence Interactions in Oscillatory Flows," by Chaitanya D. Ghodke, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, 9 AM, KEC 1114.
MPRL Opening Hours – Winter Term, Week 8
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 4 - 5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Simplot Lunch and Info Session
Simplot offers 12 summer internships, with an interest in students from the College of Business and the College of Engineering. The company will have a lunch and informational session on Tues., Feb. 23, from 12:30 to 2:30 pm in Strand 148.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
OSU School of EECS REU Opportunity
The School of EECS has NSF-funded summer undergraduate research experience involving human genetics, genomics, and science education. Researchers wok in collaboration with two faculty investigators and the graduate students to develop a curriculum and materials for a high school instructional module in the area of human genetics for polygenic traits. Interested students are asked to please send a resume (including your GPA for science & math courses taken at OSU) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org , with CC to email@example.com. Apply by Feb 26.
Additive Manufacturing at Missouri University of Science and Technology
Missouri University of Science and Technology will be hosting an REU Site in Additive Manufacturing this summer. They seek exceptional undergraduate students, particularly those underrepresented in engineering, to conduct research with us this summer.
Energy & Environment Scholarships at OSU and Across Country
Avangrid / Iberdrola USA Foundation offers the opportunity to do sustainable energy, environmental, cyber security and data science research at prestigious universities including Binghamton University, Oregon State University, the Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of Connecticut, the University of Maine, and the University of Rochester by offering $25,000 scholarships. The foundation also offers post-doc scholarships. Apply by Feb. 26.
Grad and Undergrad NSF Policy Research Opportunity
The Quality Education for Minorities (QEM) Network is offering a Science Policy-focused Summer Internship Program supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF). The ten-week, Washington, DC-based internship (May 31-Aug. 5) seeks competitive STEM undergraduate and graduate students interested in a STEM-policy and administrative related internship experience. Apply by Feb. 26.
Engineering Research Opportunity in Washington
The Washington University Summer Engineering Fellowship research program allows undergraduate students the choice to study any research topic within the School of Engineering & Applied Science at Washington University. The program provides a $5,000 stipend, travel costs to/from St. Louis, and on-campus housing. Apply by March 1.
AREVA Inc. Scholarship
The Eastern Washington Section of the Society of Women Engineers and AREVA Inc. offer a financial assistance scholarship of $1,000. This scholarship provides financial assistance to individuals admitted to accredited undergraduate or graduate programs, in preparation for careers in engineering in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho states. The application is due in late February 2016 and selection will be made in late March 2016.
Florida State Summer REU
The Florida State University Dept. of Mechanical Engineering seeks students to join their NSF-funded summer REU program entitled, "Multi-Physics of Active Systems and Structures." The REU program goal is to provide undergraduate students in mechanical engineering and related fields an opportunity to participate in ongoing active research programs, including the development of micro air vehicles, multi-modal robots, active flow control, aeroacoustics, sensors and actuators, smart materials, energy harvesting and storage, etc. Apply by March 4.
Hydro Research Foundation Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation is leading the Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. The awards – which include a living stipend of up to $18,000 and a tuition-and-allowance of up to $10,000 – are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. In 2016, the Foundation anticipates making one-year awards to between 4-10 students. Applications are due March 14, 2016, for appointments beginning June 2016 for one-year funding.
Great Minds in STEM (GMiS) 2016 HENAAC Scholarships
Graduating high school seniors, undergraduate students and graduate students, who intend to or are currently pursuing a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) degree at an accredited college/university in the U.S. or Puerto Rico, are encouraged to apply for the merit-based Great Minds in STEM scholarships. Students must have an overall minimum 3.0 GPA and must be of Hispanic descent or demonstrate strong leadership or service within the Hispanic community. Scholarship awards range from $500 - $10,000. Apply by April 30.
Job and Internship Opportunities
HP has an early-career position Business Operations Manager (less than 5 years experience) for a candidate with a background in supply chain/planning/operations. The Business Operations Manager will be part of a business planning team supporting HP’s Print organization in Corvallis, OR. Apply at www.hp.com/jobs - job # 1490294
HP seeks applicants for the Mechanical Procurement Engineer Internship-1492097 opportunity. This is an intern position for a Sourcing Engineer within the CDPS, Central Direct Procurement and Sourcing, organization. As part of this team you will partner with R&D, Manufacturing to develop and deliver capable materials in support of New Product Introduct.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Associate Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6292
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Future Leader Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9937
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group seeks a Project Engineer - Entry Level Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 2/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9310
- Rubicon International seeks a Rubicon Intern Location: Portland, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9728
- Mu Sigma seeks an Associate / Engagement Manager Location: United States Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9730
- NAVAIR - Patuxent River seeks a Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) Aviation Cost Analyst Location: Pautxent River, MD Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9736
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9762
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9763
- Montana Environmental Training Center seeks a Training and Development Specialist Location: Havre, MT Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9091
- Nan Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu, HI Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9782
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership seeks an Internship Opportunities (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9861
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership seeks an Engineering Internship (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9863
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Summer Intern - Environmental Location: Omaha Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10111
- DHL Express seeks an Operation Supervisor Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8404
- International Paper seeks a Manufacturing Management Associate Location: 18 locations across the U.S. Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10083
- Wabash National seeks a Continuous Improvement Coordinator Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9920
- Nolan Transportation Group seeks a Carrier Operations Specialist Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10346
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks an Operations Management Development Program Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9968
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks a Co-op and Internship Program Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9971
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks a Research Experiences/Internships Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States, Morgantown, West Virginia United States, Albany, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 5160
- Grakon LLC seeks a Thermal Testing Intern Location: Kent, WA Job ad expires on: 3/20/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10121
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks a HVAC Careers Location: Tualatin, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10193
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks an AutoCAD Drafter / Assistant Estimator Location: Tualatin, OR Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10184
- NVIDIA seeks a MECHANICAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10156
- NVIDIA seeks a THERMAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10157
- ENERGY NORTHWEST has Summer 2016 Internships Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10233
- Pacific Quest seeks a Program Guide Location: Big Island, Hawaii Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10235
- AAA Metal Fabrication seeks a Design/Mechanical Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10236
- Sagetech Corporation seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: White Salmon, WA Job ad expires on: 3/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10260
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory seeks a University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7962
- Moda Health seeks a Pharmacy Technicians Needed! Location: Portland, OR & Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 3/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10321
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8675
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8676
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Supply Chain Management Rotational Program Location: Beaverton, OR; San Jose, CA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8679
- Xerox seeks a Process Engineer - Chemical (New College Hire) Location: Wilsonville, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9550
- Texas Instruments seeks a Manufacturing Supervisor Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9697
- WaferTech seeks an Engineering Internships Location: Camas, WA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9760
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10284
- Linn County General Services seeks an Interior Drafting Intern Location: Albany, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9742
- Apex Systems seeks a Recruiting Inside Sales Trainee (Recruiter) Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 4/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10425
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Range Safety Officer (RSO) Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 4/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10427
- Garmin AT seeks a Product Support Specialist Summer/Seasonal Location: Salem, OR Job ad expires on: 4/8/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10488
- Linn County General Services seeks an Industrial Engineering Intern Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 4/17/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10635
- Columbia Machine seeks a Mechanical/Electrical Intern Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 4/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10655
- Mu Sigma seeks a Junior Associate Location: United States Job ad expires on: 4/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8406
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Electrical/Signal) Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9411
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) -- Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9412
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9413
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Mechanical Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9414
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9416
- Collins Agricultural Consultants Inc. seeks a Research Technician Location: Oregon City Job ad expires on: 5/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8939
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration seeks a Junior Officer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 5/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6188
- First-Tek seeks a Hiring for QA with Selenium Location: CA Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9874
- First-Tek seeks a Hiring for SQL BI Location: NJ Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9875
- Intel Corporation seeks an Automation Engineer Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10712
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- University at Buffalo - SUNY seeks an Assistant Teaching Professor in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department to start fall 2016. Posting number 1600015. Position is open until filled.
- University of Louisville Department of Industrial Engineering seeks applicants for an Assistant Professor Term Position in Industrial Engineering (Job ID No.: UL509). Open until filled.
- NEW -- The School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University is seeking exceptional candidates for a tenured or tenure-track faculty position in areas related to computational thermo-fluid sciences. Open until filled.
- The Department of Industrial, Manufacturing, & Systems Engineering (IMSE) at the University of Texas at Arlington invites applications for multiple tenure-track positions in a) engineering management and (b) complex systems modeling. Applications accepted until positions are full.
- Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) has multiple faculty open positions in Design, Manufacturing, and Thermofluid Sciences. To apply, please submit a detailed curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching interests and philosophy, and a list of at least three references to Scupi_Faculty@scu.edu.cn. Apply by Feb. 27.
- NEW -- The University of Washington, Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engineering invites applications for a full-time lecturer position in the broad areas of Industrial & Systems Engineering. Apply by March 1.
- The Department of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management at Western New England University seeks applications and nominations for the position of Chair of the Department of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM) starting in Fall 2016. Apply by March 1.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at California State University, Sacramento invites applications for a tenure-track position in the area of thermal science, product design, and sustainability. Apply by March 1.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- UCLA, the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department of the Naval Postgraduate School is inviting applications from electron Microscopy Specialists to fulfill a research assistant professor position to support the research and development of a variety of materials including metals, ceramics, carbon-based materials and composites. Apply by April 1.
- NEW -- The Russ College of Engineering and Technology at Ohio University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor Position in Industrial and Systems Engineering. Apply by April 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Vanderbilt University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of nanomaterials, for solving critical energy issues. Apply by May 1.
- NEW -- The Jet Propulsion Laboratory at California Institute of Technology has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar. The study is in the area of Direct Numerical Simulation (DNS) and Large Eddy Simulation (LES) of high-pressure turbulent reactive flows. Applicants should e-mail the following material: 1) a complete Curriculum Vitae, with lists of (i) refereed journal publications and (ii) name, address, e-mail and telephone number of at least three references; 2) an electronic copy for each of his/her most recent journal publications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.