Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
February 15, 2016
This Week's Features
MIME Research Poster Session Social
All MIME students are invited to check out the current research projects of our graduate students, have a coffee and socialize with our grad students, faculty and potential future graduate students at the MIME Graduate Research Poster Session. The event kicks off a day of activities for visiting students to our school, and it is a great opportunity to ask a few questions about our grad programs.
MIME Poster Session Social | DATE: Fri., Feb. 19 | TIME: 8-10 am | MU Ballroom
START SMART Salary Negotiation Workshop
Women and Minorities in Engineering is offering START SMART, a salary negotiation workshop. Learning successful negotiation of a starting salary (and other benefits) can have enormous effects over the course of a career. This workshop will lead you to knowledge of what is a reasonable salary range, strategies for negotiation, and will help you develop the confidence you need to be successful at promoting yourself. The workshop will be followed by a round table dinner discussion with prominent women in engineering fields. Space is limited; register at: http://leadership.engr.oregonstate.edu/start-smart
START SMART | DATE: Thurs., Feb. 18 | TIME: 4-7 pm | Austin 126
Mark Your Calendar
Woodshop Safety Seminar Feb. 18
A woodshop safety seminar is offered on Thursday this week the MIME MPRL. The sessions last 1.5 hours, and attendees must bring their ME 250 name tag. Interested students should email Darin Kempton [ firstname.lastname@example.org ]to attend.
Woodshop Safety | DATE: Thurs., Feb. 18 | TIME: 12 pm | PLACE: Rogers 106
CBEE Heterogeneous Catalysis Seminar
The School of CBEE and Environmental Engineering invites you to a seminar with Prof. Manos Mavrikakis, University of Wisconsin - Madison Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering. The discussion covers "Heterogeneous Catalysis: Reaction Mechanisms and Materials Discovery from first-principles." Manos Mavrikakis is the Paul A. Elfers Professor and the Vilas Distinguished Achievement Professor of Chemical Engineering at UW-Madison. He received a Diploma in Chemical Engineering from NTUA in Greece, and a MS in Applied Math, and a PhD in Chemical Engineering & Scientific Computing from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Following a postdoc at U of Delaware and at the Technical University of Denmark, he joined the Chemical Engineering faculty at UW-Madison in 1999. His main research interests include the elucidation of detailed reaction mechanisms for heterogeneously catalyzed reactions and the identification of improved catalytic materials from first principles-based microkinetic modeling. According to Thomson-Reuters, Manos was one of the “Top100 chemists for the 2000-2010 decade”, was elected to APS Fellow in 2013, and AAAS Fellow in2014.
CBEE Heterogeneous Catalysis Seminar | DATE: Mon., Feb. 22 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE Kearney 305
Alum Guest Speaker Visits from ESCO
ESCO's Director of Engineering, Surface Mining Division Kevin S. Stangeland, P.E., returns to campus to speak about new product development processes at ESCO as well as review some of the engineering tools they leverage in development. Stangeland is an Oregon Stater, Council of Outstanding Early Career Engineers 2014 honoree, and a member of our school's industry advisory board.
ESCO Product Development | DATE: Tues., Feb. 23 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: KEAR 112
Wed., Feb. 24
MIME Graduate Defense: "Force Prediction in the Compression Sealing of an Ultra-thin Elastoviscoplastic Membrane," by Patrick Scot McNeff, candidate for Masters of Science in Industrial Engineering, 4 PM, Rogers 226.
Thurs., Feb. 25
MIME Graduate Defense: "Developing a Design Model for Cellulose Nanocrystal Composites" by Meisam Shir Mohammadi, candidate for PhD in Materials Science, 2 PM, Richardson 115.
CBEE “Dancing with Faculty” Fundraising Event
The CBEE Student Club is putting the “fun” in “fundraiser” with their second-annual Dancing with the Faculty -- a fun event to raise money for Relay For Life at Oregon State University. Modeled after the classic reality show, this event partners students and faculty to dance for a good cause. Two awards are given to competing groups: one selected by a panel of judges and one voted on by the audience. The event is free to attend (Feb. 25, 7-9 pm, MU Ballroom) but votes will cost you. How much is your favorite team worth? If you are interested in participating, please contact Zia for more info at email@example.com
Get Involved -- Maker Fair coming to OSU
Save the date or see what you can to get involved: The CO -- or corvallismakerfair.org -- is bringing a Maker Fair to Oregon State on April 7 and 8. Hands-on, creative exploration helps encourage risk taking, cements learning, boosts self-confidence, and connects individuals and communities. Visit www.corvallismakerfair.org for more information about the event, as well as review the online volunteer form.
MPRL Opening Hours – Winter Term, Week 7
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 4 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
OSU School of EECS REU Opportunity
The School of EECS has NSF-funded summer undergraduate research experience involving human genetics, genomics, and science education. Researchers wok in collaboration with two faculty investigators and the graduate students to develop a curriculum and materials for a high school instructional module in the area of human genetics for polygenic traits. Interested students are asked to please send a resume (including your GPA for science & math courses taken at OSU) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org , with CC to email@example.com. Apply by Feb 26.
Additive Manufacturing at Missouri University of Science and Technology
Missouri University of Science and Technology will be hosting an REU Site in Additive Manufacturing this summer. They seek exceptional undergraduate students, particularly those underrepresented in engineering, to conduct research with us this summer.
Sustainable Manufacturing REU Opportunity
Wayne State University has a new NSF Research Experience for Undergrads Site Program -- the Summer Academy in Sustainable Manufacturing. The program will provide excellent opportunities to undergraduate students to conduct summer research in state-of-the-art manufacturing at Wayne State. Apply by Feb. 19.
Energy & Environment Scholarships at OSU and Across Country
Avangrid / Iberdrola USA Foundation offers the opportunity to do sustainable energy, environmental, cyber security and data science research at prestigious universities including Binghamton University, Oregon State University, the Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of Connecticut, the University of Maine, and the University of Rochester by offering $25,000 scholarships. The foundation also offers post-doc scholarships. Apply by Feb. 26.
Grad and Undergrad NSF Policy Research Opportunity
The Quality Education for Minorities (QEM) Network is offering a Science Policy-focused Summer Internship Program supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF). The ten-week, Washington, DC-based internship (May 31-Aug. 5) seeks competitive STEM undergraduate and graduate students interested in a STEM-policy and administrative related internship experience. Apply by Feb. 26.
Engineering Research Opportunity in Washington
The Washington University Summer Engineering Fellowship research program allows undergraduate students the choice to study any research topic within the School of Engineering & Applied Science at Washington University. The program provides a $5,000 stipend, travel costs to/from St. Louis, and on-campus housing. Apply by March 1.
AREVA Inc. Scholarship
The Eastern Washington Section of the Society of Women Engineers and AREVA Inc. offer a financial assistance scholarship of $1,000. This scholarship provides financial assistance to individuals admitted to accredited undergraduate or graduate programs, in preparation for careers in engineering in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho states. The application is due in late February 2016 and selection will be made in late March 2016.
Florida State Summer REU
The Florida State University Dept. of Mechanical Engineering seeks students to join their NSF-funded summer REU program entitled, "Multi-Physics of Active Systems and Structures." The REU program goal is to provide undergraduate students in mechanical engineering and related fields an opportunity to participate in ongoing active research programs, including the development of micro air vehicles, multi-modal robots, active flow control, aeroacoustics, sensors and actuators, smart materials, energy harvesting and storage, etc.. Appy by March 4.
Hydro Research Foundation Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation is leading the Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. The awards – which include a living stipend of up to $18,000 and a tuition-and-allowance of up to $10,000 – are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. In 2016, the Foundation anticipates making one-year awards to between 4-10 students. Applications are due March 14, 2016, for appointments beginning June 2016 for one-year funding.
Job and Internship Opportunities
MIME Student Information Support. We are looking for an engineering major that can start ASAP and also be available to work summers. We train all new student hires; computer experience is helpful; customer service experience is a plus. Job ID 0015277.
The CIRE Lab (Combustion, Ignition, Radiation, and Energy Laboratory)is seeking an undergraduate student to be involved with experimental research. The student needs to have a junior standing, have machine shop approval and a minimum of 3.5 GPA. Any students interested should send a resume to Dr. David Blunck. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
HP is seeking applicants for an early-career position Business Operations Manager with a background in supply chain/planning/operations. Responsibilities include planning, scheduling and coordinating demand/supply management, business processes and/or manufacturing/delivery of products. Apply at www.hp.com/jobs - job # 1490294.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Associate Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6292
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Future Leader Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9937
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group seeks a Project Engineer - Entry Level Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 2/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9310
- Rubicon International seeks a Rubicon Internship Location: Portland, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9728
- Mu Sigma Inc seeks an Associate / Engagement Manager Location: United States Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9730
- NAVAIR - Patuxent River seeks a Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) Aviation Cost Analyst Location: Pautxent River, MD Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9736
- Hampton Affiliates seeks an Electrical Engineer - Controls Location: Willamina, OR Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9755
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9762
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9763
- Nan Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu, HI Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9782
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership seeks a Internship Opportunities (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9861
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership seeks a Engineering Internship (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9863
- DHL Express seeks an Operation Supervisor Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8404
- International Paper seeks a Manufacturing Management Associate Location: 18 locations across the U.S. Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10083
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Entry Level Engineer/Estimator Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/3/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10382
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services (Unmanned Arial Systems) Intern 2016 Location: Fort Worth, TX Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9839
- BNSF Railway seeks an Engineering Intern 2016 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9841
- BNSF Railway seeks a Mechanical (Engineering) Intern 2016 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9842
- Wabash National seeks a Continuous Improvement Coordinator Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9920
- Nolan Transportation Group seeks a Carrier Operations Specialist Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10346
- Precision Castparts Corp. has Operations Management Development Program openings Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9968
- Precision Castparts Corp. has Co-op and Internship Program openings Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9971
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education has Research Experiences/Internships Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States, Morgantown, West Virginia United States, Albany, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 5160
- Delta Construction Corporation seeks na Engineer I Location: Kapolei, Oahu, Hawaii Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9986
- Unum seeks a Sales Consultant Trainee Location: Portland/Seattle Job ad expires on: 3/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10020
- Anjaneyap Global Inc seeks a Entry Level Business Analyst and Quality Analyst Location: Milpitas, California Job ad expires on: 3/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10076
- Grakon LLC seeks a Thermal Testing Intern Location: Kent, WA Job ad expires on: 3/20/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10121
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors has HVAC Careers Location: Tualatin, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10193
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seek an AutoCAD Drafter / Assistant Estimator Location: Tualatin, OR Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10184
- NVIDIA seeks a MECHANICAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10156
- NVIDIA seeks a THERMAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10157
- ENERGY NORTHWEST seeks a Summer 2016 Intern Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10233
- AAA Metal Fabrication seeks a Design/Mechanical Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10236
- Sagetech Corporation seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: White Salmon, WA Job ad expires on: 3/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10260
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory has University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7962
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8675
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8676
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Supply Chain Management Rotational Program Location: Beaverton, OR; San Jose, CA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8679
- Xerox seeks a Process Engineer - Chemical (New College Hire) Location: Wilsonville, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9550
- Texas Instruments seeks a Manufacturing Supervisor Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9697
- WaferTech has Engineering Internships Location: Camas, WA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9760
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10284
- Translations.com seeks a Project Coordinator Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 4/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10353
- Translations.com seeks a Junior Localization Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 4/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10354
- Linn County General Services seeks an Interior Drafting Intern Location: Albany, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9742
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Range Safety Officer (RSO) Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 4/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10427
- Garmin AT seeks a Product Support Specialist Summer/Seasonal Location: Salem, OR Job ad expires on: 4/8/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10488
- Modis Recruiting seeks a Senior Business Intelligence Engineer Location: Portland Job ad expires on: 4/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10544
- Mu Sigma Inc seeks a Junior Associate Location: United States Job ad expires on: 4/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8406
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Electrical/Signal) Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9411
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9412
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9413
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Mechanical Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9414
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9416
- Collins Agricultural Consultants Inc. seeks a Research Technician Location: Oregon City Job ad expires on: 5/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8939
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration seeks a Junior Officer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 5/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6188
- First-Tek Inc is hiring for QA with Selenium Location: CA Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9874
- First-Tek Inc is hiring for SQL BI Location: NJ Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9875
- ArborCare Resources, Inc. seeks a Turf Supervisor/PHC Technician Location: Sun Valley, Idaho Job ad expires on: 6/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9809
- JE Dunn Construction seeks a Project Engineer | Field Engineer | Mechanical/Electrical Engineer | Estimator Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 6/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6786
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto has Coastal Operations Department Internship Program (6 Months) openings Location: Healdsburg, St. Helena, Napa, San Miguel, San Luis Obispo Job ad expires on: 6/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10557
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- University at Buffalo - SUNY seeks an Assistant Teaching Professor in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department to start fall 2016. Posting number 1600015. Position is open until filled.
- NEW -- University of Louisville Department of Industrial Engineering seeks applicants for an Assistant Professor Term Position in Industrial Engineering (Job ID No.: UL509). Open until filled.
- NEW -- The School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University is seeking exceptional candidates for a tenured or tenure-track faculty position in areas related to computational thermo-fluid sciences. Open until filled.
- The Department of Industrial, Manufacturing, & Systems Engineering (IMSE) at the University of Texas at Arlington invites applications for multiple tenure-track positions in a) engineering management and (b) complex systems modeling. Applications accepted until positions are full.
- The Department of Mechanical & Materials Engineering at the University of Denver is seeking candidates for new tenure-track Assistant Professor position in experimental biomechanics/biomaterials. Apply by Feb. 15
- Blekinge Institute of Technology seeks a senior lecturer at the Department of Strategic Sustainable Development in Karlskrona, Sweden. The position comprises research and pedagogical work within the field strategic sustainable development with a focus on sustainable product- and service innovation. Reference number: BTH 3.1.1-0375-2015. Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at George Mason University (GMU) seeks a Senior Administrator (associate chair) at the rank of Associate Professor or Full Professor. Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at George Mason University (GMU) seeks to fill multiple tenure-track and tenured positions beginning the fall semester of 2016. Apply by Feb. 15.
- Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) has multiple faculty open positions in Design, Manufacturing, and Thermofluid Sciences. To apply, please submit a detailed curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching interests and philosophy, and a list of at least three references to Scupi_Faculty@scu.edu.cn. Apply by Feb. 27.
- NEW -- The Department of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management at Western New England University seeks applications and nominations for the position of Chair of the Department of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM) starting in Fall 2016. Apply by March 1.
- NEW -- The Mechanical Engineering Department at California State University, Sacramento invites applications for a tenure-track position in the area of thermal science, product design, and sustainability. Apply by March 1.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- UCLA, the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department of the Naval Postgraduate School is inviting applications from electron Microscopy Specialists to fulfill a research assistant professor position to support the research and development of a variety of materials including metals, ceramics, carbon-based materials and composites. Apply by April 1.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Vanderbilt University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of nanomaterials, for solving critical energy issues. Apply by May 1.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.