Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
February 1, 2016
This Week's Features
This Week -- Humanitarian Engineering -- Learn all about it
Learn about newly launched Humanitarian Engineering minor (look for the "HEST" acronym for courses and details) at this informational session early next month. The HEST mission is to cultivate science and engineering-based solutions that provide access to basic human needs, enhance quality of life and advance the level of community resilience in the local and global community. The event will bring together faculty representatives from the different schools and colleges that contribute to this dynamic new multidisciplinary program. Food provided; questions answered.
HEST Info Night | Wed., Feb. 3 | TIME: 5 - 6.30 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Alum Gives Presentation for Robotics Seminar Series
This week OSU alumnus Alex Goins will be presenting a talk entitled "Industrial Robotics and Automation at Southwest Research Institute."
Robotics Seminar Series | DATE: Friday, Feb. 5 | TIME: 10-11 am | PLACE: Rogers Hall 226
Blacksmithing Club Invites Students to "Hammer In" Sessions
The OSU Blacksmithing Club has three "Hammer In" sessions this week, which are open to any Oregon State student. The sessions will be held in the Machining and Product Realization Lab (Rogers Hall 118). Come see what it takes to handcraft a blade, and meet the award-winning group’s current members.
Hammer In | Tuesday, 6-8 pm | Wednesday, 6-8 pm | Thursday, 6-8 pm | PLACE: Rogers 118
Dr. Hurst to Speak at TEDx
School of MIME's Jonathan Hurst is part of the speaking lineup at Oregon State's next TEDx event. The evening entitled "Ignite" will focus on revolutionary and influential ideas worth spreading. The panel includes Chris Barnes, Ph.D., associate professor of management, Foster School of Business, University of Washington; Habiba Addo, teacher and performer, Portland Public Schools; Kyle Hart, children’s book author and illustrator; and Chinyere Tutashinda, journalist and media activist. Tickets are $15 for students and $25 for non-students.
TEDx | DATE: Feb. 11 | TIME: 6-9 pm | PLACE: Austin Auditorium, LaSells Stewart Center
Suit Camp -- Get Ready for a Professional Development Social
All engineering students are invited to participate in Suit Camp, presented by the Engineering Leadership Academy. Suit Camp participants will conduct mock interviews with engineering professionals, and receive coaching for how to engage in professional networking settings (what to wear, how to navigate physical space and conversation, as well how to handle food and drink). Students then practice networking skills with professionals during a live social that includes great appetizers. Companies in attendance include Boeing, Daimler, CH2M, ESCO, HP, McKinstry, Hoffman Construction, and many more. You must register to attend.
Suit Camp | DATE: Feb. 8 | TIME: 5-7:30 pm | PLACE: CH2M HILL Alumni Center
Mark Your Calendar
Engineering for Good Decision Making
Dr. Kenneth "Mark" Bryden from Iowa State University will give a seminar, "Villages, Power Plants, and Ag Residue: Addressing Model Integration Challenges in Engineering Decision Making." The seminar will cover villages in the developing world, clean power plants, and sustainable farms as complex systems that need robust engineering decision-making tools. In addition to his research and teaching, Dr. Bryden is founder of the nonprofit ETHOS, a community of more than 150 researchers focused on meeting the needs for clean village energy in the developing world.
Dr. Bryden Seminar | DATE: Feb. 12 | TIME: 3 pm | PLACE: Kearney 212
Who Will Be OSU’s First 3D Printed Car Racing Champion?
ASME is hosting a 3D printed car derby on Feb. 19 at 5 pm in Gilfillan Auditorium. Come race 3D printed cars in a fun and exciting way to apply your engineering design skills. Challenge your friends or just watch the competition, all are welcome. The body must be 3D printed. Dimensions must follow Club Scout rules (There will be no height restrictions). No entry fee. Pizza and drinks will be provided. Please 1) RSVP here to either race or attend, and 2) then racers send your submissions for the printing to email@example.com with '3D Printed Car Derby' in the subject line. Include your name and car name (you can change your car name or leave it blank) in the solid works file. Please do this ASAP so you have a car to race.
3D Printed Race Car Derby | DATE: Feb. 19 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: Gilfillan Auditorium
MPRL Opening Hours – Winter Term, Week 4
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 4 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
IIE Officer Elections
The 2016 IIE Officer Elections are Wed., Jan. 27 at 6:30 pm in Covell 221. All position are open for candidates except for Training and Education Chair. All positions are a one-year commitment, except for the TEC-Elect which is a two-year commitment.
Biomedical Engineering Society Officer Elections
The Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) Student Club will have a general meeting about officer elections and available positions on Wed., Jan. 27 at 6 pm in MU 222. All students are welcome and there will be pizza.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
Materials Science Research Experience for Undergraduates
The Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) at Northwestern University offers a 9-week paid summer Research Experience for Undergraduates program. The NU-MRSEC stands out in offering students an interdisciplinary research experience. This opportunity is open to all physics, chemistry, engineering and materials science students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Apply by Feb. 15.
Sustainable Manufacturing REU Opportunity
Wayne State University has a new NSF Research Experience for Undergrads Site Program -- the Summer Academy in Sustainable Manufacturing. The program will provide excellent opportunities to undergraduate students to conduct summer research in state-of-the-art manufacturing at Wayne State. Apply by Feb. 19.
OSU College of Engineering Scholarship: Apply by Feb. 15
The online application for the College of Engineering Scholarship is available until February 15. Your application will be reviewed by both the College and your specific program to see if you are eligible for scholarship funds within the College for 2016-2017 academic year. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Student Services by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 541-737-5236.
AREVA Inc. Scholarship
The Eastern Washington Section of the Society of Women Engineers and AREVA Inc. offer a financial assistance scholarship of $1,000. This scholarship provides financial assistance to individuals admitted to accredited undergraduate or graduate programs, in preparation for careers in engineering in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho states. The application is due in late February 2016 and selection will be made in late March 2016.
Florida State Summer REU
The Florida State University Dept. of Mechanical Engineering seeks students to join their NSF-funded summer REU program entitled, "Multi-Physics of Active Systems and Structures." The REU program goal is to provide undergraduate students in mechanical engineering and related fields an opportunity to participate in ongoing active research programs, including the development of micro air vehicles, multi-modal robots, active flow control, aeroacoustics, sensors and actuators, smart materials, energy harvesting and storage, etc.. Appy by March 4.
Hydro Research Foundation Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation is leading the Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. The awards – which include a living stipend of up to $18,000 and a tuition-and-allowance of up to $10,000 – are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. In 2016, the Foundation anticipates making one-year awards to between 4-10 students. Applications are due March 14, 2016, for appointments beginning June 2016 for one-year funding.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Undergrad wanted to develop curriculum and materials for a high school instructional module in the area of human genetics for polygenic traits. The NSF-funded summer work would involve writing, using a genome browser, simple computer-based drawing, interacting and communicating with other researchers, and interacting and communicating with local experts in science outreach. The ideal applicant for this position will have previous coursework in genetics and statistics, excellent written and spoken communication skills, and a strong desire to help us communicate our science to a broader audience. Interested students are asked to please send a resume (including your GPA for science & math courses taken at OSU) by email to email@example.com, with CC to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications begins Feb. 26.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- Dextro Software Systems INC has Immediate Openings for Hadoop Developers Location: Princeton Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9415
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9428
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer. Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9429
- Foresters Financial seeks a Financial Representative Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9951
- Columbia Cascade Company seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 2/5/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9442
- SVN seeks a Commercial Real Estate Advisor Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 2/5/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9819
- Hewlett Packard seeks an Industrial Engineering Intern Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 2/9/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9510
- Cowlitz PUD has an Operational Technology Internship Location: Longview, WA Job ad expires on: 2/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10104
- Traffic Technology Services, Inc. seeks a Technical Writer Location: Beaverton Job ad expires on: 2/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10307
- Sea Reach, LTD seeks a Product Designer Location: Sheridan, OR Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10176
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Associate Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6292
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Future Leader Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9937
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group seeks a Project Engineer - Entry Level Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 2/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9310
- Rubicon International seeks a Rubicon Intern Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9728
- NAVAIR - Patuxent River seeks a Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) Aviation Cost Analyst Location: Pautxent River, MD Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9736
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9762
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9763
- Nan Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu, HI Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9782
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership has Internship Opportunities (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9861
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership seeks an Engineering Internship (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9863
- DHL Express seeks an Inside Sales Executive Location: Tempe, AZ Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8403
- DHL Express seeks an Operation Supervisor Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8404
- International Paper seeks a Manufacturing Management Associate Location: 18 locations across the U.S. Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10083
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services (Unmanned Arial Systems) Intern 2016 Location: Fort Worth, TX Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9839
- BNSF Railway seeks an Engineering Intern 2016 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9841
- BNSF Railway seeks a Mechanical (Engineering) Intern 2016 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9842
- Wabash National seeks a Continuous Improvement Coordinator Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9920
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks an Operations Management Development Program Location: various location in Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9968
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks a Co-op and Internship Program Location: various location in Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9971
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education has Research Experiences/Internships Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania , Morgantown, West Virginia , Albany, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 5160
- Grakon LLC seeks a Thermal Testing Intern Location: Kent, WA Job ad expires on: 3/20/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10121
- NVIDIA seeks a MECHANICAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10156
- NVIDIA seeks a THERMAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10157
- AAA Metal Fabrication seeks a Design/Mechanical Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10236
- Sagetech Corporation seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: White Salmon, WA Job ad expires on: 3/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10260
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory seeks a University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7962
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8675
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8676
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Supply Chain Management Rotational Program Location: Beaverton, OR; San Jose, CA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8679
- Xerox seeks a Process Engineer - Chemical (New College Hire) Location: Wilsonville, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9550
- Texas Instruments seeks a Manufacturing Supervisor Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9697
- WaferTech has Engineering Internships Location: Camas, WA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9760
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10284
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Electrical/Signal) – Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9411
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) - Operations Management Trainee Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9412
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9413
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Mechanical Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9414
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9416
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- Blekinge Institute of Technology seeks a senior lecturer at the Department of Strategic Sustainable Development in Karlskrona, Sweden. The position comprises research and pedagogical work within the field strategic sustainable development with a focus on sustainable product- and service innovation. Reference number: BTH 3.1.1-0375-2015. Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at George Mason University (GMU) seeks a Senior Administrator (associate chair) at the rank of Associate Professor or Full Professor. Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at George Mason University (GMU) seeks to fill multiple tenure-track and tenured positions beginning the fall semester of 2016. Apply by Feb. 15.
- Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) has multiple faculty open positions in Design, Manufacturing, and Thermofluid Sciences. To apply, please submit a detailed curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching interests and philosophy, and a list of at least three references to Scupi_Faculty@scu.edu.cn. Apply by Feb. 27.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- UCLA, the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- NEW -- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department of the Naval Postgraduate School is inviting applications from electron Microscopy Specialists to fulfill a research assistant professor position to support the research and development of a variety of materials including metals, ceramics, carbon-based materials and composites. Apply by April 1.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.