Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
December 8, 2014
This Week's Features
Graduate Students Engineering Expo, Call for Abstracts, Submit by Jan. 9
The College of Engineering is announcing the inaugural Engineering Research Expo, and all graduate students are invited to submit an abstract. The March 4, 2015, expo is designed to showcase how the COE engineering graduate students community is solving the world's greatest challenges. Grad students will share their work through poster presentations with industry partners, alumni, the media, prospective students, their peers, other academic institutions, and more. The public will have the opportunity to interact directly with individual students, ask questions, and exchange ideas. Please submit a 250-word abstract about your research project through the online submission form by Friday, Jan. 9!
Engineering Research Expo | March 4, 2015 – Oregon Convention Center | Abstract Deadline Jan 9.
One Robot, and One Invisibility Hat, Please!
Bill Smart's PR2 robot was featured in a discussion of real-time privacy. A New Scientist article on telerobotic privacy cites how Smart's system for unskilled remote operators to change bed sheets using a PR2 also allows homeowners to "specify 3D areas to censor." For example, a bedside table can be screened out so that remote operators running the robot see only a black space. He has also developed physical privacy markers: a mat that automatically erases anything placed on it, and a hat that renders its wearer invisible in the robot's video feed.
Student Inventors Welcomed to Popular Science Invention Awards
Popular Science magazine's annual Invention Awards are open to students at academic institutions -- for the very first time. Candidate nominations must be made by Dec. 12. From these entries, Popular Science editors will select 10 finalists to be featured in their publication. You may submit student inventions through their online form: http://goo.gl/forms/sl4ERwv8kQ
- There is no fee to submit, and there are no prizes.
- Inventions must be the work of independent inventors or small teams.
- Inventions must be new, not just minor tweaks to existing objects or processes.
- There must be a working prototype, or some demonstration that an invention works.
- Inventions on their way to becoming commercial products are welcome, but they can't already be for sale (or have shipped preorders or rewards, as in the case of crowdfunding) before April 2015.
Mark Your Calendar
Robotics Seminar Series | DATE: Tues., Dec 9 | 4-5 pm | Rogers 226
University of Utah's Dr. Kam Leang will present, "Design, Modeling, and Control of Active (Smart) Materials for High-Performance Positioning and Robotic Systems," this Tuesday as part of the robotics seminar series. Dr. Leang’s talk focuses on active (smart) material-based actuators and theoretical and experimental results in design, modeling, and control to address issues such as hysteresis, creep, vibration, and other nonlinear and time-varying effects.
Robotics Seminar Series | DATE: Tues., Dec 9 | 4-5 pm | Rogers 226
OSU Graduate School Information Night
Find out if an advanced degree right for you -- the OSU Graduate School will be covering the basics of graduate education on Tuesday. Some questions answered include: What is graduate school and what are the benefits of a graduate degree; and how do to pay for graduate education?
OSU Graduate School Info Night | DATE: Tues., Dec. 9 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: Furman Hall 102
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Mon, Dec 15
MIME Graduate Defense: "Dynamics and Control of Spring-Mass Robots with Compliant Legs," by Hamid Reza Vejdani, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy in Robotics & Mechanical Engineering, 11 am, Rogers 226.
Mon, Dec 15
MIME Graduate Defense: “From Running Birds to Walking Robots: Optimization as a Unifying Framework for Dynamic Bipedal Locomotion," by Christian Hubicki, candidate for PhD in Robotics and Mechanical Engineering, 1 pm, Rogers 226.
Fri, Dec 19
MIME Graduate Defense: “Heat Treatment Effects on CPM-M4 Tool Steel Performance as Edged Blade Material," by Sidi Lian, candidate for Master of Science in Materials Science, 2 pm, Rogers 226.
MPRL Opening Hours – Finals Week
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The fall term schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for the week ending Dec. 13, 2014 is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8 am-5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am-5 pm | Wednesday – 8 am-5 pm | Thursday – 8 am-5 pm | Friday – 8 am-5 pm | Saturday – closed
IIE Members Get a Discount on 2015 FE Exam Prep Course
Members of the IIE National Chapter will receive a $40 discount on the cost of the FE Exam Prep course offered by the IIE student chapter group. Contact the local group to join the national group prior to Jan. 15 to take advantage of the discount. They will also confirm the discount for current members. firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarships and Fellowships
National Research Council Research Associateship Programs
The National Research Council of the National Academies sponsors a number of awards for graduate, postdoctoral and senior researchers at participating federal laboratories and affiliated institutions. These awards include generous stipends ranging from $42,000 - $80,000 per year for recent Ph.D. recipients, and higher for additional experience. Graduate entry-level stipends begin at $30,000. These awards provide the opportunity for recipients to do independent research in some of the best-equipped and staffed laboratories in the United States. There are four annual review cycles:
- Review Cycle: February; Opens December 1; Closes February 1
- Review Cycle: May; Opens March 1; Closes May 1
- Review Cycle: August; Opens June 1; Closes August 1
- Review Cycle: November; Opens September 1; Closes November 1
NSF REU in South Africa
The University of Virginia is seeking applicants for its summer NSF-funded Water, Society, and Health Research Experience for Undergraduates site program. The program includes a $2000 stipend, plus all travel and lodging expenses in Limpopo Province, South Africa. The program duration is 8 weeks during June, July, and August 2015. Apply by Dec. 22.
LSAMP Summer Research Experience for Undergrads at Cornell
Cornell University's Diversity Programs in Engineering is a partner of the Upstate Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (ULSAMP) which formed to attract and maximize the potential of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) students from underrepresented populations, specifically African-American, Latino American and Native American. The application is due by Feb. 15, 2015.
Hydro Research Foundation 2015 Awards
The Hydro Research Foundation, under a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), anticipates making one-year awards to 10-15 students for its Hydro Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. Applications are due March 16, 2015, for appointments beginning June 2015 for one-year funding.
2015 Summer Internship Opportunity
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Environmental Health and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (NCEH/ATSDR) are offering a paid 10-week summer internship program for students who are passionate about the environment, interested in human health, and curious about how they are interlinked. Applications are due Jan. 28, 2015.
Dept. of Energy Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship Program
A DOE summer fellowship opportunity through the Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship Program provides STEM students with an excellent research experience -- for either undergraduate or graduate students. For more information and to complete the MLEF application, visit http://energy.gov/fe/mickey-leland-energy-fellowship or contact them at MLEF@hq.doe.gov. The application deadline is Jan. 2, 2015.
Job and Internship Opportunities
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Thermal Fluids Research Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: Dec. 12, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3120)
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Mechanical Design Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: Dec. 12, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3121)
- Sonetics Corporation seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Tigard, Oregon Job ad expires on: Dec. 15, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3168)
- Washington River Protection Solutions seeks a Chemical Engineer Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: Dec. 17, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3345)
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Oracle-WWOPS-Manufacturing Process Engineer Location: Hillsboro, Ore. Job ad expires on: Dec. 19, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 2849)
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Inventory Services and Control - Business Analyst Location: Portland, Ore. Job ad expires on: Dec. 19, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 2843)
- Boise Cascade seeks an Industrial Engineer Location: Medford, Oregon Job ad expires on: Dec. 31, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3516)
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Entry Level Engineer/Estimator Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Jan. 2, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3334)
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Engineer/Estimator Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Jan. 2, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3336)
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Engineer/Estimator Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Jan. 2, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3338)
- Washington River Protection Solutions seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: Jan. 3, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3348)
- Stantec Consulting seeks a Protection & Control Designer/Engineer Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: Jan. 4, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3386)
- FEI Company seeks an Operations Engineer/ EDM Designer Specialist Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: Jan. 12, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3479)
- FEI Company seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: Jan. 12, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3480)
- Washington River Protection Solutions seeks a Project Controls Engineer Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: Feb. 2, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3444)
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a Process Tech Development Internship Program for Engineers 2015 (June-Dec) Location: Livingston, CA; Fresno, CA Job ad expires on: March 6, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 2618)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Engineering Intern, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 2789)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 2790)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 2793)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The University of Mount Union seeks to fill a tenure-track faculty position that requires teaching senior design, manufacturing, and CAD courses. The position is open until filled.
- NEW -- The Pennsylvania State University, Industrial Engineering Department has several openings including a Bello Chair in energy, and Frontier Faculty lines in a set of interdisciplinary areas. Varying deadlines for application.
- NEW -- The University of Colorado, Boulder, has multiple tenure-track positions open in Mechanical Engineering. Applications are currently accepted.
- The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst seeks applicants for a tenure track position in the area of Biomedical Engineering. Apply by Dec. 10.
- NEW -- The Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College invites applications for Director of the Master of Engineering Management (MEM) Program, at the rank of Full Professor of Engineering. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York, is seeking candidates for a tenure-track Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor. For further information, please contact Dr. Mark Karwan, Chair, Search Committee, at email@example.com, or 716.645.2422. For full consideration, apply by Dec. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M has several open tenured-track/tenured faculty positions in the areas of advanced manufacturing, energy, robotics and other mechanical engineering disciplines. Also, the department is looking for non-tenured track faculty at all levels (lecturers, senior lecturers, and professors of engineering practice). Apply by Dec. 15 for full consideration.
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering North Carolina State University has three tenure track faculty openings, and seeks applicants in Thermal-fluid sciences and Aero-fluid sciences. Apply by Dec. 15.
- Bradley University has one tenure track assistant professor position in Industrial/Manufacturing Engineering. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is seeking a Head for the Department of Industrial Engineering & Logistics Management. Apply by Dec. 15.
- Southern Methodist University, Department of Mechanical Engineering invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of assistant professor (Position No. 52680). Apply by Dec. 15 for full consideration.
- The University of Hartford has a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in Mechanical Engineering at the rank of Assistant Professor (with specialization in Mechatronics, Robotics and Machine Design). Apply by Dec 31.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Iowa State University seeks to fill multiple tenure-track or tenured faculty positions. Review of applications is ongoing, but applications must be received by Dec. 31.
- The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) at Northeastern University seeks to fill a tenure-track/tenured position in the general area of Supply Chain Engineering, as applied to Bio-Medical, Healthcare and Resilient Systems. Apply by Jan. 1, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of New Hampshire invites applications for a tenure track position in Ocean Engineering. Apply by Jan. 1, 2015; review of applications is in progress.
- The Department of Engineering Management and Systems Engineering at Missouri S&T offers a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level. Review of applications begins Jan. 5, 2015.
- The University of Nevada, Reno, Mechanical Engineering Department is hiring six tenure-track positions. Five positions are at the Assistant Professor level in any area of Mechanical Engineering with particular emphasis on Advanced Manufacturing, Autonomous Systems, Thermal Science, and/or Computational Mechanics. One position, to be filled at the Assistant or Associate level, is open to applicants with appropriate qualifications in the area of Autonomous Systems. Deadline to apply is Jan. 12, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Memphis invites applications for the position of tenure track Assistant/Associate Professor. The department is especially interested in candidates with demonstrated expertise in the areas of (1) advanced manufacturing and materials, and (2) energy including generation, harvesting and storage. Application review begins Jan.12, 2015.
- NEW -- The University of Massachusetts Lowell, Plastics Engineering Department has two openings, with possible faculty ranks including Instructor, Assistant Professor, untenured Associate Professor, tenured Associate Professor, and Professor. Review of applications begins Jan. 15, 2015.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at University of Mississippi ("Ole Miss”) is seeking to fill a Tenure-Track Assistant Professor position in Computational Solid/Structural Mechanics. Apply by Jan 15, 2015.
- NEW -- The Department Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, is seeking faculty candidates at all ranks and in all areas. Particular interests are in hiring at the Assistant Professor level in the three areas of (1) Dynamic Behavior of Materials and Structures, (2) Mechanics in Biology and Biological Systems, and (3) Dynamics, Controls, and Robotics. Apply by Jan. 16, 2015.
- NEW -- The University of Hartford, in West Hartford, Connecticut, seeks a full-time, tenure-track faculty in Mechanical Engineering (Thermo/Fluids/Energy) at the Assistant Professor level. Apply by Jan 31, 2015.
- Northeastern University, Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering has three tenured/tenure-track positions open in the general areas of Advanced Manufacturing including Bio-inspired, Nano- and/or Additive Manufacturing. As well, the department has three non-tenure-track teaching positions in the general areas of mechanical and industrial engineering. Apply by Jan. 15, 2015.
- The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is conducting three faculty searches (health-systems engineering, advanced manufacturing, and the living environments lab.) Application deadlines range from Dec. 1, 2014 through Jan. 15, 2015.
- The University of Central Florida, Department of Industrial and Management Systems seeks two new faculty members at the Assistant or Associate Faculty Position. Screening of applications begins Jan. 15, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) at The Louisiana State University (LSU) seeks to fill multiple tenure-track positions in Mechanical Engineering and a tenure-track position in Industrial Engineering in Information Technology - E-Commerce. Apply by Jan. 15, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at California State University, Long Beach, has four tenure-track faculty openings in Solid Mechanics and Materials; Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Design and Optimization; Dynamics, Control, Robotics and Automation; and Advanced Intelligent Materials. Apply by Jan. 16.
- The Department Mechanical Engineering in the Whiting School of Engineering at Johns Hopkins University is seeking faculty candidates at all ranks and in all areas. Particular interests are in hiring at the Assistant Professor level in the three areas of (1) Dynamic Behavior of Materials and Structures, (2) Mechanics in Biology and Biological Systems, and (3) Dynamics, Controls, and Robotics. Apply by Jan. 20, 2015.
- Ohio University – Russ College of Engineering and Technology seeks an assistant professor (tenure track) in Industrial and Systems Engineering. For full consideration, apply by Jan. 31, 2015.
- San Jose State University is looking to fill an open faculty position (Associate or Full Professor) in the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department in Human Factors or Engineering Management. For full consideration, apply by Jan 20, 2015.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at SUNY Korea (State University of New York in South Korea) invites applications for one tenure-track faculty position in the area of design and robotics. Apply by Feb. 28, 2015.
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.