Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University
December 5, 2016
This Week’s Features
OSU sailing club sets sails on Northwest, West Coast domination
Michael Levy is the OSU sailing team’s captain, and recently represented OSU at the collegiate national sailing competition in Galveston, TX. Michael not only represented OSU, but the entire Northwest division of sailing as a result of him winning the Northwest Intercollegiate Sailing Association Singlehand Men’s Qualifier. Michael and teammate Quanah Green competed in the men’s singlehanded division in the competition in Washington, in which they received first and fourth respectively.
HWeekend – Winter 2017
HWeekend returns January 21-22! This free hardware development competition brings students of all levels and majors together with industry and faculty mentors to create something new. Students work together in teams to create a marketable project they can demonstrate and pitch to judges at the end of the weekend. The theme for this event is Gadgets and Gizmos. Over $300 in prizes! More info: webpage, video.
Registration is Open: College of Engineering Graduate Research Showcase
Attention graduate students: registration for the 2017 Graduate Research Showcase is now open. This year’s event will be held in Corvallis at the CH2M Hill Alumni Center on Fri., Feb 17, and it will feature a lineup of professional development workshop sessions in the morning, and an afternoon poster session. There are 300 poster presentation spots available, and a limited number of workshop seats available. Entry to both will be on a first-come, first-served basis. One student presenter per project may register to present. Please obtain your advisor’s approval prior to registering. Your advisor will be contacted upon receipt of your registration to verify approval, thus completing your registration. All College of Engineering graduate students are eligible to attend the professional development workshops.
Mark Your Calendar
SWE-WVS January 2017 Professional Development Program
A guided tour of the Evergreen Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon
On Saturday, January 14th at 1:00 PM the Willamette Valley chapter of the Society of Women Engineers is hosting a guided tour of the Space Museum at the Evergreen Air and Space Center in McMinnville, Oregon. Enjoy learning about lunar rovers, space capsules, rockets, and global space programs with students, faculty, and professionals in your community. The museum is great for all ages so bring your friends and family and make a day of it! All are welcome. The group rate for adult admission for 15+ participants is $10 for the Space Museum only, and you can pay an additional $8 to gain entrance to the Aviation Museum and see a movie in the theater. Transportation is not provided but carpooling is encouraged. The tour will begin at 1:00 PM in the lobby of the Space Museum, followed by networking and exploration on your own. Please RSVP, arrange for carpooling, and direct any questions to Dr. Nordica MacCarty, mailto:email@example.com.
Guided tour of the Evergreen Space Museum | DATE: Saturday, January 14 | TIME: 1:00 | PLACE: Evergreen Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon (Transportation not provided but carpooling is encouraged) | Cost: Admission to the Space museums is $10 if we have a group of 15 or more, and an additional $8 gains entrance to the air museum and a movie as well. Please bring exact cash to contribute to the group fee. Adult admission is regularly $27 for <15 people.
Wed., Dec. 7
MIME Graduate Defense: Computational Investigation on the Effects of Arc Location in Vacuum Arc Remelting,” by Miguel F Soler, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Major Professor: Dr. Kyle E Niemeyer. 10 am, Rogers 226.
Thurs., Dec. 8
MIME Graduate Defense: “Fibers Microbuckling of Uncured Carbon-Epoxy Prepreg in Bending,” by Yizhi Guo, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Major Professor: Dr. Roberto Albertani. 9 am, Rogers 226.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
DOE Scholars Internship Program
Scientific research conducted through the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) supports an improved quality of life for all Americans. With a mission focused on discovering solutions to power and to secure America’s future, DOE is committed to: energy security; nuclear security; scientific discovery and innovation; environmental responsibility; management excellence. The DOE Scholars Program offers unique opportunities that introduce students or post-graduates to the agency’s mission and operations. Participants in the DOE Scholars Program gain a competitive edge as they apply their education, talent and skills in a variety of scientific research settings within the DOE complex. Apply by Dec. 15.
Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program
Penn State’s Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering seeks applicants for an outstanding undergraduate summer research program in the nuclear field at Penn State — the Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program. The Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program is a 10-week paid summer program that provides an opportunity for undergraduates to obtain hands-on research experience and professional development in the nuclear field at Penn State. Students will work closely with a faculty mentor on a state-of-the-art nuclear research project, and will have opportunities to network with industry representatives and participate in site visits to locations such as Three Mile Island. The program runs from May 30 –August 4, 2017. Fellows will receive a $6000 stipend as well as on-campus housing. Apply by January 31, 2017.
NSF REU - Multiphysics of Active Systems and Structures
The REU program goal is to provide undergraduate students in mechanical engineering and related fields an opportunity to participate in ongoing active research programs, including the development of micro air vehicles, multi-modal robots, active flow control, aeroacoustics, sensors and actuators, smart materials, energy harvesting and storage, etc. The multidisciplinary nature of these projects will engage students in cross-cutting technologies by inspiring the integration and synthesis of ideas and facilitating a better understanding of engineering design at the system level. Apply by February 10, 2017.
Columbia University REU 2017
The Columbia University Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Summer 2017 seeks Undergraduates (preference to juniors) majoring in engineering disciplines, materials science, biology, chemistry, physics and related fields. The PAS3 led by Columbia University in partnership with City College of New York, Harvard University, Barnard College, and the University of the Virgin Islands, encompasses two Interdisciplinary Research Groups (IRGs) studying materials composed of atomically precise low-dimensional building blocks: two-dimensional atomic sheets and zero-dimensional molecular clusters. Apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
SWE Scholarship Applications for current Engineering students
The SWE Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to women studying baccalaureate or graduate programs, in preparation for careers in engineering, engineering technology and computer science. The scholarship application for sophomores through Ph.D. candidates is now open. Apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education Summer Research
The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education has opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, along with recent master’s and doctoral graduates, to participate in energy related research. Apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
Lehigh University Management Science and Engineering
Industrial and Systems Engineering Department at Lehigh University is pleased to announce the availability of a fellowship opportunity for those individuals wishing to advance their knowledge in Management Science and Engineering. The fellowship, provides for full tuition toward 30 credits of master’s degree study (no stipend is provided). Apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
Hydro Research Foundation 2017 Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation makes one-year awards to students researching conventional or pumped storage hydropower through a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy program of the U.S. Department of Energy. Apply by March 15, 2017.
Job and Internship Opportunities
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- Shell Oil Company seeks a Mechanical Engineering Opportunities Now Available at Shell Oil Company! Location: Anacortes, WA Job ad expires on: 12/8/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15320
- Johnson Controls seeks a HVAC Controls Systems Designer I Location: Milwaukie, OR Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14852
- Chase Doors Division of Senneca seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Redmond, Oregon Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14854
- Georgia-Pacific LLC seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14856
- Georgia-Pacific LLC seeks an Entry Level Engineer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14857
- Paradigm Construction LLC seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu Job ad expires on: 12/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10782
- Retronix Semiconductor seeks an Entry Level Field Service Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 12/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15034
- Buckeye International seeks a Healthcare Sales Specialist (Portland) Location: Portland, Oregon area Job ad expires on: 12/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15040
- Advance Testing Company, Inc. seeks an Engineering Technician Location: Campbell Hall Job ad expires on: 12/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13037
- Precision Measurements and Instruments Corporation (PMIC) seeks a Project Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14242
- Target Corporation seeks an Executive Intern Location: Various cities in the Northwest Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14181
- Target Corporation seeks an Operations Manager Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14183
- Advance Testing Company, Inc. seeks an Engineering Technician Location: Campbell Hall Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15216
- Target Corporation seeks an Operations Manager Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7118
- adidas seeks a Store Operations Manager – Best Practices / Process Improvement Location: Portland Job ad expires on: 1/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15020
- Adpearance seeks a Communication Analyst Intern Location: Remote Job ad expires on: 1/3/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 13882
- Huber Engineered Woods LLC seeks a Quality Assurance Technician Location: Commerce, GA Job ad expires on: 1/8/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15335
- Target Corporation seeks an Executive Team Leader Location: Various Cities in the Pacific Northwest Job ad expires on: 1/9/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15238
- CH2M HILL seeks a 2017 CAD Technician Intern - VA Location: Virginia Job ad expires on: 1/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15518
- CH2M HILL seeks a 2017 Instrumentation and Controls Intern - OR Location: Oregon Job ad expires on: 1/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15540
- CH2M HILL seeks a 2017 Mechanical Engineering Intern - Eastern US Location: Eastern, US Job ad expires on: 1/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15541
- Linn County General Services seeks a Temporary Drafter/Revit Intern Location: Albany, Oregon Job ad expires on: 1/30/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 14436
- ENERGY NORTHWEST seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: 1/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 13938
- G. Loomis, Inc. seeks a Product Design & Development Engineer Location: Woodland, WA Job ad expires on: 2/3/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15308
Faculty and Postdoc Positions
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara invites applications for two full-time faculty positions in the areas of fluid mechanics (tenure-track Assistant Professor), and micro and nanoscale thermal sciences and their application to energy systems (tenure-track Assistant Professor or tenured Associate Professor). Apply by Dec. 9.
- The Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics Department at the University of Pennsylvania has two open tenure-track positions, one in Robotics and Controls and the other in Scientific Computation. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is inviting applicants for two job postings: 1) The ME department is searching for candidates in the area of controls; 2) The Grainger Institute for Engineering is conducting a broad search in the area of energy. The candidate can choose their appropriate home department. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Delaware has a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the area of thermal fluids with applications in energy, environment or manufacturing. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York, is seeking candidates for a tenure-track position at the rank of assistant, associate, or full professor in the areas of operations research, production and service systems, manufacturing, and human factors and ergonomics. Apply by Dec. 16.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Binghamton University (SUNY) seeks candidates for three faculty positions in these areas: 1) Dynamic systems and control, apply by Dec. 31; 2) Design, apply by Dec. 31; 3) Solid mechanics, apply by Dec. 31.
- The Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)-Chicago has faculty positions available in the areas of (1) autonomous systems and (2) materials. Apply by Jan. 1, 2017.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maine invites applications for a tenure track assistant professor in mechanical engineering. The candidate must have a demonstrated track record in engineering design, with an ability to do applied and/or basic research in traditional or emerging areas of interest in mechanical engineering. Apply by Jan. 4, 2017.
- Baylor’s School of Engineering and Computer Science invites applications for the position of Chair of Mechanical Engineering. Apply by Jan. 9, 2017.
- NEW - The College of Engineering at the University of Kentucky is currently searching for three positions as part of an ongoing cluster hire in Sustainable Manufacturing. These positions are open at all ranks in any department in the College. The faculty hired under this initiative will be affiliated with our Institute of Sustainable Manufacturing. Apply by Jan. 15, 2017.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Loyola Marymount University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in bioengineering and/or advanced solid mechanics and design at the Assistant Professor level. Apply by Jan. 15, 2017.
- Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville has a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the areas of Mechatronics, Robotics, and Control Systems. Apply by Jan. 15, 2017.
- The University of Nevada, Reno Mechanical Engineering Department has three academic faculty openings. Two in the area of thermal/fluid science, system dynamics and control, advanced manufacturing, materials processing and/or solid mechanics, and one opening in a mechanical engineering high performance computing field. Apply by Jan. 16, 2017.
- NEW - The Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Hartford, Connecticut invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor with background and expertise in the areas of design of mechanical components and systems, integrated mechanical design of machines, systems approach to design cycle, prototyping, and sustainable design in mechanical engineering. Apply by Jan. 17, 2017.
- The School of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University invites applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE), 9-month tenure-track faculty position in the Energy Systems Engineering program at the rank of assistant or associate professor. Successful candidates will teach undergraduate and graduate courses and will direct a robust program of externally-sponsored research with an energy focus. Apply by Jan. 31, 2017.
- The University of California, Berkeley, Department of Mechanical Engineering seeks applications for a tenure-track, assistant professor in mechanical engineering in the areas of Design, Robotics, Applied Energy Systems, and Nanoscale Systems Engineering. Apply by Jan. 31, 2017.
- The newly established Mechanical Engineering program at the University of West Florida has two faculty openings. One position will be based in Pensacola and the other at our satellite campus in Fort Walton Beach. Apply by Jan. 31, 2017.
- NEW - The Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) announces tenure-track and tenured faculty positions in areas encompassed by mechanical and aerospace engineering. Opportunities exist at the Assistant and Associate Professor ranks. The Department’s long term plan for these positions focuses on composite materials, aerospace structures, and additive manufacturing but other concentration areas are acceptable. Review of applications began on October 15 and will continue until the position is filled.
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.