This Week's Features
OSU, as Part of Team ViGIR, to Participate in DARPA Challenge
Team ViGIR, a robotics team comprised of students from TORC Robotics, Technische Universität Darmstadt, Virginia Tech, and OSU MIME graduate student Alex Goins, will head to Florida for the DARPA Robotics Challenge Trials on Dec. 20-21 at the Homestead Speedway, Homestead, Fla. ViGIR will compete against eleven other teams who use the Atlas robotic platform. At the trials, robots will perform disaster response operations, which include ladder climbing, door opening and debris removal. Goins said that he anticipates the debris removal portion to be the most challenging. High-performing teams will receive funding to support participation in the final $2-million cash prize challenge in December 2014.
DARPA Robotics Challenge | DATE:, Dec. 20-21 | LOCATION: Homestead, Fla.
Senior Pictures, MIME Commencement, OSU Commencement
Senior picture appointments can be scheduled online for Tuesday and Friday this week. Visit the Rogers 238 Advising Office or email Gina Newcomb directly. The MIME commencement online survey includes an RSVP for the reception for graduates and family members. As well, students are reminded to complete the OSU commencement online form also must be completed.
SENIOR PICTURES: Tues, Dec 3 and Fri, Dec. 6 in 205 Graf.
MIME Commencement: June 13, 2014; 9.15 check-in, La Sells Stewart Center
Mark Your Calendar
Tonight – Brainstorming Session for IIE Video Competition
IIE is holding a kick-start meeting tonight at 7 pm to discuss theme and content for video for School of MIME's submission to the annual IIE video competition. While brainstorming for ideas, please keep in mind that the video is intended to be used as a recruitment tool for high school students, teachers, and councilors to promote the study of industrial engineering. The deadline for submitting a film is Feb. 22, 2014. For inspiration, view last year's winning video from Kansas State University.
IIE VIDEO PLANNING| DATE: Mon, Dec. 2 | TIME: 7 pm | LOCATION: Covell 210
Mathematical and Physical Complexities of Granular Materials
Prof. Matt Evans, OSU Civil Engineering, will conduct a Materials Science seminar, "Mechanical and Thermal Behaviors in Granular Materials." This talk will present an overview of some of the mathematical and physical complexities of granular materials and describe approaches for simulating granular assemblies at the particle scale. Relationships between particle behavior and assembly behavior will be presented.
MATERIALS SCIENCE SEMINAR | DATE: Thurs, Dec 5 | TIME: 3 pm | LOCATION: Rogers 226
Oregon Passenger Rail Project – Round-table Discussion
From our friends at School of CCE, the OSU chapter of the American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-way Association (AREMA), OSU’s railroad engineering student organization, is co-hosting a round table discussion with Oregon State Department of Transportation (ODOT). The Oregon Passenger Rail Program is studying options for improved passenger rail service between Eugene and Portland, and is currently in the process of selecting a preferred rail alignment to build upon in the future.
Oregon Passenger Rail Project Round Table | Date: Wed, Dec. 4 | TIME: 12-1:30 pm | LOCATION: MU 206
Cupcakes for Batcheller's 100th Bash
You are cordially invited to Batcheller Hall’s 100th Birthday Party on Thursday, Dec. 5, from 4-5 pm in Batcheller Hall Foyer. Come have a cupcake and learn fun facts about the building.
BATCHELLER HALL BIRTHDAY PARTY | DATE: Thurs, Dec 5 | TIME: 4 pm | LOCATION: Batcheller Hall Foyer
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer: This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
FE Review Course offered through IIE
This course is specifically designed to assist students who are studying for the FE Exam. Beginning week 2 of winter term, the lectures will be offered twice a week on consecutive nights for eight weeks by accredited OSU professors. Since one topic is covered each week, you only need to attend one lecture per week. The subjects covered are Statics, Dynamics, Strength of Materials, Engineering Economy, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electrical Fundamentals, and Materials Science. The program has seen incredible success in past years; nearly 100 percent of students who have enrolled in this course have passed the FE exam.
The cost of the class is $80 if you sign up online before December 15. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
And More News about FE Exams...
Additionally, students should visit the OSU FE Exam page to review some important changes to the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and Fundamentals of Land Surveying (FLS) exams. The changes go into effect January 1, and they are already affecting students. The page includes changes to timeline, application process, test location, etc.
Winter Term Technical Writing for Engineers
Four engineering-specific sections of WR 327 (Technical Writing) are offered this winter. The engineering-specific WR 327 sections focus on principles of effective engineering communication, and all writing assignments are engineering-related. These courses will better prepare students for engineering pro school. Engineering students with sophomore (or higher) standing who have taken or are concurrently taking Physics 211 may enroll. The technical writing classes also will be offered in the spring.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Research Internships
Student Sustainability Project Grants Available
The Student Sustainability Initiative (SSI) is accepting applications for project grant program. Any individual OSU student or student group can apply for up to $6,000 in funding. Projects that benefit OSU students and the SSI’s mission of advancing student efforts to create a culture of sustainability at OSU through action, education, and opportunity will be favored. Previously funded projects include a $6,000 grant for the solar vehicle team to upgrade and maintain their solar vehicles. Any questions should be directed to the SSI Fee Board Chair. Applications are due Dec. 15.
AfterCollege Scholarship Links
IE3 Global Opportunities for Summer 2014
The IE3 Global Internships summer term application deadline is Jan. 25, 2014. Student who plan to intern abroad between May and September of 2014, start planning to apply now! The program offers placements in locations including Gabon, Vietnam and more than 140 other locations.
DEADLINE: Jan. 25, 2014
Healthcare Systems Engineering Fellowships
The New England Veterans Engineering Resource Center (VERC) is seeking graduate students for fellowship opportunities in healthcare systems engineering. The center is actively looking for 2-3 fellows to start in the Spring or Summer of 2014. For more information, email email@example.com. Interested students should apply no later than Jan 30, 2014.
OSU COE Scholarships for 2014-2015
The College of Engineering is now accepting scholarship applications online for the 2014-15 academic year. The deadline is Feb 15, 2014.If you have any questions as you are completing the scholarship application, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SME Education Foundation Awards $17,000 to MIME Students
Did you know that last year OSU MIME students received more than $17,000 from SME scholarships? The SME Education Foundation scholarship application is now open for the 2014-2015 school year. The eligibility requirements for the scholarships are listed on the SME website. Please contact Olivia Girod, OSU SME Chair, with questions. DEADLINE: Sat, Feb. 1, 2014
Multiple Scholarships Women in Engineering
The Eastern Washington Section of the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) and AREVA gives scholarships to women (sophomore or above) in any engineering major. Deadline Feb 3, 2014. All SWE scholarships for women in engineering can be reviewed -- and applied for -- with one online application form. The deadline for submission is Feb. 17, 2014.
Call for Papers and Posters
The Association of State Dam Safety Officials is making a call for posters and papers for their annual student paper competition and student poster competition to be held in conjunction with Dam Safety 2014, Sept. 21-25 at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, Calif.
Paper Competition: Each winning paper will receive $500 and a travel stipend to present at Dam Safety 2014 conference. DEADLINE: Feb 17, 2013.
Poster Competition: Each poster winner will receive a certificate and special recognition during Dam Safety 2014. DEADLINE: Feb 17, 2013.
Engineering Scholarship Resource
To search for potential engineering scholarship sources and browse through a host of information relevant to earning your engineering degree and professional license, visit EngineeringDegree.com.
OSU subscribes to Grant Forward, a software service useful for research grant seekers and graduate students. The service, which requires users to set up an account profile, retrieves new postings from numerous funding agencies on a daily basis, and then tags the posting with the appropriate category, deadline, sponsor type, status, submission type and keywords.
Job and Internship Opportunities
The College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences and the School of MIME announce an undergraduate collaborative research opportunity with faculty. The title is "Autonomous Research Vessels to Explore Extreme Ocean Environments." Interested candidates should send resumes to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Triplepoint Energy has an immediate opening for a Continuous Improvement Engineer. For information or details about this announcement, contact Bruce MacKender by email or by calling 503.998.1539.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings. Newly posted opportunities are listed first and then in order of closing date:
- Dassault Systems has a position with its knowledge consultant education team on a 4-6 month training manual development project at its Everett, Washington, location. Desired start date is January 6, 2014. (Beaver Jobnet ID 26428)
- Computer and Engineering Services, Inc., a technical recruiter for the automotive companies, is seeking candidates with engineering experience for its Rochester Hills, Mich., location. Applications are accepted until Feb 18, 2014. (Beaver Jobnet ID 26428)
- Mainstream Engineering Corporation is looking for mechanical engineering interns for summer 2014 at its Rockledge, Fla., location. Successful candidates will work with R&D engineers on projects involving thermal controls and energy conversion. (Beaver Jobnet ID 25982)
- PECI is looking for an Engineer 1 to join its small commercial engineering team in support of energy efficiency practices -- integrated design, emerging technologies, and innovative program delivery methods. (Beaver Jobnet ID 24991)
- Associate design engineer at Gunderson’s Portland location. Engineering work experience is desirable, but not required. Deadline: Dec. 22.
- Applications Engineer/Intern at Silicon Laboratories. Applications accepted until Dec. 9.
- Electrical Field Engineer at Emerson / ERS closes Dec. 30.
- Aviation Software Engineers at Garmin. Applications accepted until Dec. 31.
The NASA LARSS Internship program is accepting applications for its paid research, internship program for undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). Applications are accepted until Feb 1, 2014.
The Department of Homeland Security 2014 HS-STEM Summer Internships program is now accepting applications for 10-week summer internships, with areas of research including engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, and environmental science. Undergraduate students receive a $5,000 stipend plus travel expenses. US citizenship is required.
Deadline: Jan. 6, 2014
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Clemson University invites applicants for multiple tenure-track faculty positions at the rank of assistant professor, to begin Fall 2014. Candidates with expertise in advanced manufacturing, bio-inspired materials and manufacturing, and advanced materials design and processing are encouraged to apply. Applications should be received no later than Dec. 15, for guaranteed review.
- The Southern Methodist University Department of Mechanical Engineering invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of assistant professor. The position is in the area of Dynamic Systems and Control with particular focus on micro- and nano-systems, biomechanics, robotics, or closely related research fields. Applications received by Dec. 15 will be given priority consideration.
- The Department of Mechanical and Civil Engineering at the California Institute of Technology seeks applications for the position of Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering. This is a full-time, non-tenure-track position with the primary responsibility of teaching. The initial term of appointment can be up to three years. Review of applications will begin Dec 15.
- The Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at the University of Notre Dame has several tenure track faculty position openings in: Experimental Fluid Dynamics and High-Performance Computing. Applications should be received before Dec. 20.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, is generating an applicant pool of qualified temporary instructors to teach regular and summer courses as needed. The current pool will close on Dec. 29.
- Kansas State University Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering seeks applications and nominations for the Carl R. and Mary T. Ice Industrial Engineering Professorship. The successful candidate will be a nationally prominent scholar who will lead funded research endeavors, with preference given to the areas of applied operations research and logistics. Screening of applications will begin Dec. 31.
- The College of Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, is conducting a search to fill a senior faculty position for Director of the Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation. The Application review starts Nov. 1 with the final deadline to apply on Jan. 2, 2014.
- The Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes Department at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale has a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in the areas of control systems, power generation, and energy. Review of applications will begin Jan. 2, 2014.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Kansas has two open faculty positions at the rank of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor in the areas of energy and/or transportation. Screening of applications will begin Jan. 6, 2014.
- USC Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering also is seeking applications and nominations for tenure-track or tenured faculty in the area of thermofluids. Early submissions are welcome, and the application review process will begin Jan. 6, 2014.
- The Naval Academy’s Weapons and Systems Engineering Department seeks to fill multiple tenure track faculty positions. Appointments at all ranks will be considered, but the preference is for the rank of Assistant Professor. A PhD in electrical, mechanical, or closely related engineering field is required.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Michigan State University invites applications for multiple tenure-stream faculty positions in the general area of computational mechanics and engineering: fluid mechanics or solid mechanics. Review of applications will begin Jan. 15, 2014.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at California State University, Long Beach invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of Solid Mechanics. Review of applications to begin Jan 17, 2014.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at California State University, Long Beach, invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of Solid Mechanics. Review of applications begins Jan. 17, 2014.
- Bucknell University is accepting applications for the position of Chair of Mechanical Engineering to begin summer 2014. Review of applications starts Jan. 27, 2014.
- The Mechanical Engineering department at the United States Naval Academy invites applications for multiple tenure-track positions beginning fall 2014. The positions are at the assistant professor levels; however, appointment at the rank of associate professor will be considered for some candidates. The application deadline is Jan 31, 2014.