Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
December 1, 2014
This Week's Features
MIME 101 Poster Exposition is Wednesday
Students from MIME 101 will display their term projects this Wednesday, Dec. 3. The five MIME 101 sections will be displaying their posters as follows: 8 am -- Going Green; 10 am -- Going Places; 12 pm -- Getting Outdoors; 2 pm -- Flying Around; and 3 pm -- Automating Things. Give support and prepare for crowded hallways on second-floor Rogers!
MIME 101 Poster Expo | DATE: Wed., Dec. 3 | TIME: 8 am – 5 pm | PLACE: 2nd-floor Rogers
Information Session Today – Dairy Products Technology
Representatives from Cal Poly's Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Dairy Products Technology program are on campus today to give an info session on their is a one-year Master's degree program that provides students with the skills and credentials needed to become leaders in the dairy manufacturing sector. Graduates of our program will find employment opportunities with large cheese and yogurt producers, fluid milk operations, and ice cream manufacturers. Employment opportunities exist nationwide.
Dairy Tech Info Session | DATE: Mon., Dec. 1 | TIME: 5-6 pm | PLACE: Kelley 1001
HWeekend 30-hour Build Marathon is Accepting Applicants
The School of EECS is organizing for their next HWeekend (aka, Hardware Weekend), with applications due Dec. 5. This event is sponsored by Micron, and is, therefore, FREE (food + build kits) to all participants. The January 17-18, 2015 weekend begins Saturday and ends Sunday afternoon; participants get access to amazing tools including 3D printers, laser cutters, electronics, tablets, computers, and many other great toys. All majors and all skill levels are welcome to apply. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Prep for -- and Pass! -- the 2015 FE Exam
The IIE student chapter will conduct their FE Review course to prepare students for the FE Exam. The newly redesigned FE Review covers more of the topics appearing on the FE Exam (Statics, Dynamics, Strength of Materials, Engineering Economy, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Electrical Fundamentals, Mathematics, and Materials Science). The review course runs from week 2 until week 7 of winter term. Additionally, all lectures are recorded and available on Blackboard for self-study and time management. IIE says that course participants have an almost 100-percent pass rate on the exam. The cost of the class is $80 if you sign up before Dec. 15.
U.S. DOE Launches $1 Million H2 Refuel H-Prize Competition
The U.S. Dept. of Energy Fuel Cell Technologies Office (FCTO) and the Hydrogen Education Foundation (HEF) have launched a two-year $1 Million H2 Refuel H-Prize competition. The event challenges engineers and entrepreneurs to develop affordable systems for small-scale hydrogen fueling. This H-Prize competition aims to expand the hydrogen infrastructure across the country to support more transportation energy options, including fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs). There are several H-Prize categories, including production, storage, distribution, utilization, and prototypes and transformational technologies.
Mark Your Calendar
Design & Manufacturing Seminar: Algorithm Design for Field Robotics
Geoff Hollinger, Assistant Professor, School of MIME will present a discussion of "Algorithm Design for Field Robotics, as part of the MIME Design and Manufacturing Fall Seminar Series. The seminar will focus on how unmanned aerial vehicles, underwater submersibles, and other robotic vehicles are increasingly being tasked with gathering information, and how human oversight impacts the reliability of results.
Algorithms for Field Robotics | DATE: Fri., Dec. 5 | TIME: 2 pm | PLACE: ROGERS 226
Materials Science Seminar with Dr. Dolgos
Dr. Michelle Dolgos, OSU Chemistry. “Pair Distribution Function Studies: The long and short of it," as part of the Materials Science Fall Seminar Series. The talk is Thurs, Dec. 4 at 3 pm in Rogers 226.
The E-Bulletin Goes Offline after Dec. 8
The E-Bulletin – following next week’s issue -- resumes publishing in January 2015 for winter term. (I know, shocking in many ways!) Please make note of early January events -- see below, for example -- and be sure to email email@example.com by Friday, cob, for an event listing prior to the break.
EWB Benefit Concert is Jan. 10
The EWB benefit concert is on Jan. 10, 2015, at the Whiteside Theater (mark it on your calendars!). The event will bring in local and regional bands to raise money for the Engineers without Borders Lela (Kenya) water project.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Fri, Dec. 5
MIME Graduate Defense: "Grasping Complex Steel Castings with an Underactuated Parallel Jaw Gripper," by Ryan Carpenter, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 10 am, Rogers 226.
Fri, Dec 5
MIME Graduate Defense: "A Shared-Autonomy Heavy-Lift Assistive Robot for Manufacturing,” By Taylor Finley, candidate for Master of Science in Robotics, 1 pm, Valley Library, Room 3622.
Tues, Dec 9
MIME Graduate Defense: "Influence of subset size, shape and orientation on texture based Digital image correlation," by Jianqing Cui, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 10 am, Kelley 1114.
Thurs, Dec 11
MIME Graduate Defense: "Determination of Cutting Forces With Asymmetric Wedge Blades," by Andrew Phan, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 10 am, Rogers 226.
Fri, Dec 12
MIME Graduate Defense: "Development of New High Temperature Piezoelectric Perovskite Ceramics," by Troy Ansell, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy in Materials Science, 2 pm, Valley Library, Willamette West Seminar Room.
MPRL Opening Hours – Week 10
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The fall term schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for the week ending Dec. 6, 2014 is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8-10 am; 12-1 pm; 3-9 pm | Tuesday – 8-10 am; 12-9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am; 12-3 pm; 5-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am-5 pm | Friday – 8-10 am; 12-5 pm | Saturday – 9 am- 5 pm
Scholarships and Fellowships
LSAMP Summer Research Experience for Undergrads at Cornell
Cornell University's Diversity Programs in Engineering is a partner of the Upstate Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (ULSAMP) which formed to attract and maximize the potential of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) students from underrepresented populations, specifically African-American, Latino American and Native American. The application window for this REU is Dec. 5, 2014 to Feb. 15, 2015.
Teaching Fellow Program at Rose-Hulman
The Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology has opened a call for nominations and applications for inaugural fellows in the Rose-Hulman Distinguished Teaching Fellow Program beginning Fall 2015. More information is available at www.rose-hulman.edu.Nominations should be sent by email to: Professor Lorraine Olson, Chair, Rose-Hulman Distinguished Teaching Fellow Search Committee, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Lorraine.Olson@Rose-Hulman.edu. Screening of applications begins Dec. 15.
NSF REU in South Africa
The University of Virginian is seeking applicants for its summer NSF-funded Water, Society, and Health Research Experience for Undergraduates site program. The program includes a $2000 stipend, plus all travel and lodging expenses in Limpopo Province, South Africa. The program duration is 8 weeks during June, July, and August 2015. Apply by Dec. 22.
2015 Summer Internship Opportunity
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Environmental Health and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (NCEH/ATSDR) are offering a paid 10-week summer internship program for students who are passionate about the environment, interested in human health, and curious about how they are interlinked. Applications are due Jan. 28, 2015.
Dept. of Energy Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship Program
A DOE summer fellowship opportunity through the Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship Program provides STEM students with an excellent research experience -- for either undergraduate or graduate students. For more information and to complete the MLEF application, visit http://energy.gov/fe/mickey-leland-energy-fellowship or contact them at MLEF@hq.doe.gov. The application deadline is Jan. 2, 2015.
Job and Internship Opportunities
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Newly posted opportunities are listed first and then in order of closing date:
- ESCO Corp. seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland Oregon Job ad expires on: Dec. 6, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3052)
- Daimler Trucks North America seeks an Industrial Process Engineer Location: Detroit, MI Job ad expires on: Dec. 7, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3512)
- Daimler Trucks North America seeks a Vehicle Safety & System Control Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: Dec. 7, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3513)
- Daimler Trucks North America seeks a Maintenance Strategy Engineer Location: Detroit, MI Job ad expires on: Dec. 7, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3514)
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Thermal Fluids Research Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: Dec. 12, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3120)
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Mechanical Design Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: Dec. 12, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3121)
- Sonetics Corporation seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Tigard, Oregon Job ad expires on: Dec. 15, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3168)
- Washington River Protection Solutions seeks a Chemical Engineer Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: Dec. 17, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3345)
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Oracle-WWOPS-Manufacturing Process Engineer Location: Hillsboro, Ore. Job ad expires on: Dec. 19, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 2849)
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Inventory Services and Control - Business Analyst Location: Portland, Ore. Job ad expires on: Dec. 19, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 2843)
- Boise Cascade seeks an Industrial Engineer Location: Medford, Oregon Job ad expires on: Dec. 31, 2014 (Beaver Careers ID: 3516)
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Entry Level Engineer/Estimator Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Jan. 2, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3334)
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Engineer/Estimator Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Jan. 2, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3336)
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Engineer/Estimator Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Jan. 2, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3338)
- Washington River Protection Solutions seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: Jan. 3, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3348)
- Stantec Consulting seeks a Protection & Control Designer/Engineer Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: Jan. 4, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3386)
- FEI Company seeks an Operations Engineer/ EDM Designer Specialist Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: Jan. 12, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3479)
- FEI Company seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: Jan. 12, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3480)
- Washington River Protection Solutions seeks a Project Controls Engineer Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: Feb. 2, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 3444)
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a Process Tech Development Internship Program for Engineers 2015 (June-Dec) Location: Livingston, CA; Fresno, CA Job ad expires on: March 6, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 2618)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Engineering Intern, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 2789)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 2790)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31, 2015 (Beaver Careers ID: 2793)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The University of Southern California invites applications for tenure-track positions in the Daniel J. Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering in the Viterbi School of Engineering. Applications for the levels of Assistant and Associate Professor will be considered. These positions are targeted toward growth in areas of current and increasing importance to the ISE research community, particularly systems analytics, applied statistics, and computational statistics. The application deadline is Dec. 5, but earlier application is encouraged.
- The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst seeks applicants for a tenure track position in the area of Biomedical Engineering. Apply by Dec. 10.
- The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York, is seeking candidates for a tenure-track Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor. For further information, please contact Dr. Mark Karwan, Chair, Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 716.645.2422. For full consideration, apply by Dec. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M has several open tenured-track/tenured faculty positions in the areas of advanced manufacturing, energy, robotics and other mechanical engineering disciplines. Also, the department is looking for non-tenured track faculty at all levels (lecturers, senior lecturers, and professors of engineering practice). Apply by Dec. 15 for full consideration.
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering North Carolina State University has three tenure track faculty openings, and seeks applicants in Thermal-fluid sciences and Aero-fluid sciences. Apply by Dec. 15.
- Bradley University has one tenure track assistant professor position in Industrial/Manufacturing Engineering. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is seeking a Head for the Department of Industrial Engineering & Logistics Management. Apply by Dec. 15.
- Southern Methodist University, Department of Mechanical Engineering invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of assistant professor (Position No. 52680). Apply by Dec. 15 for full consideration.
- The University of Hartford has a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in Mechanical Engineering at the rank of Assistant Professor (with specialization in Mechatronics, Robotics and Machine Design). Apply by Dec 31.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Iowa State University seeks to fill multiple tenure-track or tenured faculty positions. Review of applications is ongoing, but applications must be received by Dec. 31.
- The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) at Northeastern University seeks to fill a tenure-track/tenured position in the general area of Supply Chain Engineering, as applied to Bio-Medical, Healthcare and Resilient Systems. Apply by Jan. 1, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of New Hampshire invites applications for a tenure track position in Ocean Engineering. Apply by Jan. 1, 2015; review of applications is in progress.
- The Department of Engineering Management and Systems Engineering at Missouri S&T offers a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level. Review of applications begins Jan. 5, 2015.
- NEW -- The University of Nevada, Reno, Mechanical Engineering Department is hiring six tenure-track positions. Five positions are at the Assistant Professor level in any area of Mechanical Engineering with particular emphasis on Advanced Manufacturing, Autonomous Systems, Thermal Science, and/or Computational Mechanics. One position, to be filled at the Assistant or Associate level, is open to applicants with appropriate qualifications in the area of Autonomous Systems. Deadline to apply is Jan. 12, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Memphis invites applications for the position of tenure track Assistant/Associate Professor. The department is especially interested in candidates with demonstrated expertise in the areas of (1) advanced manufacturing and materials, and (2) energy including generation, harvesting and storage. Application review begins Jan.12, 2015.
- Northeastern University, Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering has three tenured/tenure-track positions open in the general areas of Advanced Manufacturing including Bio-inspired, Nano- and/or Additive Manufacturing. As well, the department has three non-tenure-track teaching positions in the general areas of mechanical and industrial engineering. Apply by Jan. 15, 2015.
- The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is conducting three faculty searches (health-systems engineering, advanced manufacturing, and the living environments lab.) Application deadlines range from Dec. 1, 2014 through Jan. 15, 2015.
- The University of Central Florida, Department of Industrial and Management Systems seeks two new faculty members at the Assistant or Associate Faculty Position. Screening of applications begins Jan. 15, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) at The Louisiana State University (LSU) seeks to fill multiple tenure-track positions in Mechanical Engineering and a tenure-track position in Industrial Engineering in Information Technology - E-Commerce. Apply by Jan. 15, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at California State University, Long Beach, has four tenure-track faculty openings in Solid Mechanics and Materials; Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Design and Optimization; Dynamics, Control, Robotics and Automation; and Advanced Intelligent Materials. Apply by Jan. 16.
- The Department Mechanical Engineering in the Whiting School of Engineering at Johns Hopkins University is seeking faculty candidates at all ranks and in all areas. Particular interests are in hiring at the Assistant Professor level in the three areas of (1) Dynamic Behavior of Materials and Structures, (2) Mechanics in Biology and Biological Systems, and (3) Dynamics, Controls, and Robotics. Apply by Jan. 20, 2015.
- Ohio University – Russ College of Engineering and Technology seeks an assistant professor (tenure track) in Industrial and Systems Engineering. For full consideration, apply by Jan. 31, 2015.
- San Jose State University is looking to fill an open faculty position (Associate or Full Professor) in the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department in Human Factors or Engineering Management. For full consideration, apply by Jan 20, 2015.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.