Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
April 6, 2015
This Week's Features
Two School of MIME Graduate Students Receive NSF Graduate Research Fellowships
A huge round of applause for Aaron Fillo, advised by David Blunck, and for Andy Abate, advised by Jonathan Hurst, MIME graduate student who were offered National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships. The NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students in NSF-supported science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines who are pursuing research-based Master's and doctoral degrees at accredited United States institutions. The fellowships provide funding for continued graduate study at Oregon State. This is a prestigious award for our two students! They are among about 2,000 nationwide who have been selected for this program. Since 1952, the NSF has funded about 46,500 Graduate Research Fellowships out of more than 500,000 applicants.
NEW Pro-School GPA Requirements Open for Summer 2015 and Beyond
The College has modified the admission process to the professional school. We now provide a target GPA above which students are guaranteed admission to their major and to allow for multiple admission cycles per year. We believe this has gone a long way in reducing ambiguity for students in achieving their academic goals. The guaranteed pre-core GPA in Mechanical Engineering has changed from 3.20 to 2.90.
Mark Your Calendar
MIME Student Chapter Professional Society Speaker Series Features Jay Wilt
Oregon Stater Jay Wilt will speak to students next week as part of the 2014-15 MIME Student Chapter Professional Society Speaker Series. Wilt, who earned his B.S. in Industrial Engineering in 1975, was named to the Academy of Distinguished Engineering in 1998. Wilt is the co-founder of Laughlin-Wilt Group, Inc., a company that won the 1998 Oregon Manufacturing Entrepreneur of the Year award. The start-up grew to a 280-employee, $30-million operation in a decade's time.
MIME Professional Speaker Series | DATE: April 7 | TIME: 6.30 pm | Place: KEC 1003
Contest for Materials Science Students and Materials Researchers
The Oregon chapter of the ASM International (American Society for Metals) will hold their annual Student Presentation Contest on April 21 in Portland. Winner receive cash awards, and it is worth noting that in the past years, Oregon State students have done very well at this event. The contest also is also great practice for giving presentations and excellent for your resume. Materials Science students, and also undergraduates doing materials research projects or materials student projects (e.g., blade-smithing, FSAE), may submit an abstract, too. The abstract deadline is Friday, April 17. To submit an abstract, ask questions, or receive more information contact Dr. Khalid Khan via email: email@example.com
One-Stop Shopping for Graduation Needs – OSU Grad Fair
The OSU Grad Fair will take place April 20 and 21 from 10 am to 4 pm at the OSU Beaver Store. Graduates can choose, size and order everything at the Grad Fair, including regalia, announcements, and class rings. Students with questions about regalia, should contact the OSU Beaver Store. If you have questions about Oregon State graduation announcements or OSU official rings, contact Jostens at 1-800-854-7464 or online.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
MIME Soccer – for Faculty, Staff, and Students – with GS^4
The MIME Graduate Student Social Skills Society, GS^4, is sponsoring an intramural soccer team this term open to all MIME faculty, staff, and graduate students. If you would like to join in and play, just send William Curran (firstname.lastname@example.org) an email with your name and Oregon State ID number, and he will sign you up. You will also need to stop by Graf 204 sometime before April 12 to sign the roster. The season runs from April 20 - to June 6, with each team playing (usually) once per week in the afternoon.
SWE's First Spring Meetup
SWE's first meeting of the spring term is this Wednesday, Check it out, and meet the other members, and plan events for the term. The meeting is Wednesday, April 6, at 6pm in KEC 1001.
MPRL Opening Hours –Week Two, Spring Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for the week ending April 4 is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8 – 10 am, 12 – 1pm, 3 – 5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Wednesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Friday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Saturday – closed
COE April Workshops
The College of Engineering will offer the following workshops spring term. These are drop-in sessions, with no RSVP required.
- · Wed., April 1: Pro-School Application Workshop, 4 pm, Kearney 112
- · Thur. April 2: Pro-School Application Workshop, 9 am, Owen 106
- · Thur., April 9: MBA Information Session for Engineers, 4 pm, Batcheller 144
- · Thur., April 16: Pre-Med Info Session for Engineers, 4 pm, Batcheller 144
- · Tues., April 21: LinkedIn Workshop, 4:30 pm, Batcheller 144
- · Tues., April 28: MECOP Interview Prep Workshop, 4 pm, Kearney 112
Scholarships and Fellowships
MBA Program Scholarship for Women
Attend this informational session and meet with College of Business faculty and advisors to learn about the one-year MBA offered at Oregon State. The College of Business has scholarships specifically for women who will be graduating with an engineering degree. See how an engineering degree and an MBA can help you reach your career goals. Lunch is provided, so please make a reservation if you would like to attend. When: Thurs., April 23, 12-1 pm | Where: 141 Batcheller Hall.
Job and Internship Opportunities
FEATURED: The OSU Energy Efficiency Center is Hiring
The OSU Energy Efficiency Center (EEC) is looking for a motivated Energy Analyst student to work part-time during the school year (10-12 hrs/week) and full-time during the summer (30-40 hrs/week), as well as a Database/Web Specialist. More information about the positions is listed on the OSU student employment website.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Sandy Farms seeks a Processing Plant Supervisor Location: Boring, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 4693 Job ad expires on: 4/12/2015
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services (Unmanned Arial Systems) Intern 2015 Location: Fort Worth, TX Beaver Careers ID: 4702 Job ad expires on: 4/13/2015
- Cardinal Glass Industries seeks a Process Engineer Location: Winlock, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4751 Job ad expires on: 4/18/2015
- Trinity Consultants, Inc. seeks an Environmental Engineer/Consultant Location: Seattle, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4776 Job ad expires on: 4/19/2015
- Thermogen Technologies, Inc. seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4799 Job ad expires on: 4/20/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Signal or Structures) - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4328 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4329 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Transportation Manager - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4330 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Internship/Coop Location: Various Locations Beaver Careers ID: 4337 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Trillium Technical seeks an Entry-level, hands-on Mechanical Engineering opportunities in the automotive industry in southeastern Michigan Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan Beaver Careers ID: 1998 Job ad expires on: 4/24/2015
- Dawson Construction, Inc. seeks a Project Management Internship Location: Bellingham, WA Beaver Careers ID: 5024 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Intern, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Beaver Careers ID: 2792 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- ProIT Inc. seeks a BigData Analyst Location: Across US Beaver Careers ID: 4031 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Dassault Systemes seeks an Education Material Intern Location: Seattle Wa Beaver Careers ID: 4738 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- Worcester Polytechnic Institute Operations and Industrial Engineering Program is offering a visiting assistant professor position for AY 2015-2016.
- The Idaho National Laboratory has a Postdoctoral Research opportunity, Posting 8722: Thermal Transport of Nuclear Materials Postdoctoral Research Associate, apply by April 13.
- The College of Engineering at Northeastern University seeks a non-tenure track Assistant Academic Specialist for its expanding Professional Master of Science Programs. Review of applications will begin immediately and will proceed until the position is filled.
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Naval Postgraduate School has a position open for a tenure-track faculty in Autonomous Systems with an emphasis on Underwater Vehicles. Candidates should immediately send an application letter, along with curriculum vitae and names of three references by email to email@example.com, or mail to: Garth Hobson | Professor and Chairman | Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering | 700 Dyer Road, Watkins Hall, Room 338 | Naval Postgraduate School | Monterey, CA 93943-5100 USA. Position will remain open until filled.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes at Southern Illinois University Carbondale seeks applicants for a Tenure-Track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor starting August 16, 2015. The application deadline is April 1.
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.