This Week's Features
Tonight: Intel Executive Speaking Series
Technology is evolving at an unprecedented rate — and Intel is at the heart of it all. Pat McDonald. Intel Vice President and Director of Talent, Transformation and Diversity (and Beaver alumnus) will provide an insider’s view into a career at Intel, and what it takes to land a dynamic role. If you want to change the world through computing, you belong at Intel. Come to the discussion on technology and your future. Dinner will be served.
Intel’s Pat McDonald | WHEN: Tues., April 29, 5 pm | WHERE: KEC 1001
Team ViGIR Makes Finals of DARPA Challenge
Congratulations to Alex Goins, a student of Prof. Ravi Balasubramanian, who will continue his DARPA-funded robotics competitive research with Team ViGIR (the Virginia-Germany Interdisciplinary Robotics) for the competition’s final year. The DARPA challenge funds robotics teams to build robots capable of performing disaster-related tasks similar to those in a hazardous environment, such as debris removal and wall climbing. Team ViGIR placed tenth, tied with another school, and will split the $1 million in annual funding with that school. In the finals, the teams will have 60 minutes to complete as many tasks as possible. Additionally, for the finals, DARPA will introduce communication "blackouts" in 30 second intervals where the team has no communication with their robots.
The “Order of the Engineer” Ring Fitting
The Order of the Engineer is a group of engineers in the U.S. who have declared their responsibility to the public and to the profession. If you are an engineering senior or grad student, you are eligible to attend a public ceremony to declare your "Obligation as an Engineer" and receive a commitment ring. The cost is $20 for the entire ceremony and ring. The ceremony will be June 13 (more details will follow.) For information, contact Kyle England at email@example.com.
Ring fittings will be held in the Owen Hall Atrium on:
- Wed., April 30, from 11 am to 1 pm
- Thurs., May 1, from 11 am to 1 pm
- Fri., May 2, from 11 am to 1 pm
Volunteer Sign-Ups for COE Expo
We are still looking student volunteers for the 2014 Engineering Expo! The public event includes more than 150 displays and demos of undergrad research projects. We are looking for students to help set up on May 15 and for the event on May 16, with tasks ranging from set-up and tear down to assisting the public with Q&A. Everyone who volunteers for two or more hours will receive a free t-shirt. Please sign up today and help out with this event.
Mark Your Calendar
Renewable Energy and Plasma Propulsion Research
The Wirz Research Group at UCLA conducts renewable energy and plasma propulsion research. Richard Wirz, associate professor in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and Director of the UCLA Plasma & Space Propulsion Laboratory, will give a seminar covering research in the Energy Innovation Lab, including solar thermal and wind. The event, on Mon., April 28 at 3pm in 226 Rogers Hall, includes refreshments.
Wirz Seminar | WHEN: Mon., April 28, 3 pm | WHERE: 226 Rogers
"What Do You Want Most in the World?" -- A Pencil
Adam Braun, a young social entrepreneur, is speaking tomorrow evening at 7 pm at LaSells Stewart Center as part of the Discovery Lecture Series. With only $25 to start, the twenty-something built the organization Pencils for Promise which builds and support schools in third-world countries. Hear his incredible story – free and open to the public.
Pencils of Promise | WHEN: Tues., April 29, 7 pm | WHERE: LaSells Stewart Center, Austin Auditorium
Nuclear Materials Seminar Series
Brian Wirth from the University of Tennessee will give a seminar covering “Modeling Plasma Surface Interactions in Tungsten through High-Performance Computing” as part of the School of MIME spring term nuclear material seminar series.
Nuclear Materials Seminar | WHEN: Thurs., May 1 at 3pm | Weniger 149
COE Student Clubs Club Carnival: Fun and Fundraiser
School of MIME student clubs should register to attend the College of Engineering Club Carnival on May 29. The event is an end-of-the-year celebration for students, recruitment opportunity for clubs, fundraiser for the Linn Benton food bank and all around fun time for everyone. Each club puts together a booth, activity or game for the 4-hour event (for example, the classic dunk tank filled with engineering professors). To get started, please complete the online survey at the URL below.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer: This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Intellectual Property Discussions
David Dickson, an Intellectual Property and Licensing Manager in the Office for Commercialization and Corporate Development, will be hosting open office hours on Wed., May 7, in Rogers 304, from 9 am to 12 pm. Any faculty member with questions on intellectual property, invention disclosures, patenting, licensing, or other topics related to technology transfer are encouraged to drop in at their convenience. Other researchers, including research associates, postdocs, and graduate students are also welcome. If you cannot attend, you can contact David directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, and look for additional office hours scheduled in the future.
University/Faculty Senate Committee Participation
University/Faculty Senate Committee Participation allows for input into institutional policies and procedures considered essential to the overall governance of the University. Standing committees of faculty and staff are formed annually to address topics and issues of interest. Faculty and staff may volunteer for OSU committee service by completing the online form. The volunteer interest forms are due Friday, May 2 at noon.
MIME Graduate Defense: Mon, May 5
MIME Graduate Defense: “Customer Needs Extraction and Validation of a Disability Simulation Suit for Inclusive Product Design Research,” by Jessica Armstrong, candidate for Master of Science in M. E. Design, minor in I.E. Human Systems Engineering, 3 pm, Rogers 226.
MIME Graduate Defense: Tues, May 6
"Fluidic and Thermal Modeling for the High Production Rate Synthesis of High Quality Nanoparticles," by Daniel Peterson, candidate for Doctorate of Philosophy, 1 pm, Metolius Room, MBI.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Research Internships
The Oregon NASA Space Grant Consortium (OSGC) offers scholarships in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and STEM education. Online application links and other program information, including the 2014-15 Scholarship Program Guide, are also available online. Application Deadline: May 23.
Job and Internship Opportunities
ATI Wah Chang seeks an associate project engineer at its Albany, Ore., location to assist with the design and management of plant capital and maintenance projects within an industrial environment. The position is open until filled, and resumes are under review now. Qualified candidates are invited to submit resumes to email@example.com.
FLIR Systems in Wilsonville, Ore., has two new summer paid intern positions for manufacturing engineering students. The positions run are planned to run from June 16 through Sept. 19. Students should contact Bill McKnight for more information. Bill.McKnight@FLIR.com.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings.
- Boise Cascade Corporation is looking for an Industrial Engineer responsible for evaluating and improving plant performance in the areas of safety, quality, production output and operating cost. Applications are accepted until April 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28532)
- Sandia National Laboratories has an immediate opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to join the Biomass Science and Conversion Technologies team at its Emeryville, Calif., location. Apply by May 4. (Beaver JobNet ID 28675)
- NEW -- ENERGYneering Solutions seeks a mechanical engineer for their Sisters, Ore., based company. Submit applications by May 6. (Beaver JobNet ID 28914)
- Arcadis, Inc., is recruiting for 25 entry-level civil/ environmental engineers for water/remediation work. The primary focus for these engineers will be project work on wastewater / water treatment planning, process evaluation, equipment selection, pilot testing, preliminary and final design, developing design reports, construction documents and specifications, as well as construction oversight and administration. Applications are accepted until May 9. Apply online at: www.arcadis-us.com.
- Amazon is looking for applicants with a degree in Degree in Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, General Management for positions of Area Manager, Operations. The application deadline is May 14. (Beaver JobNet ID 27644).
- Hollingsworth & Vose based in Corvallis seeks a Mechanical Engineering Summer Hire for work on projects related to design, maintenance, improvement and construction problems pertaining to the Company’s production and facility-related projects. Applications are accepted until May 15. (Beaver JobNet ID 28217)
- NEW -- Oracle seeks a manufacturing process engineer/WWOPS at locations in Broomfield, Colo.; Bay Area, Calif., and Hillsboro, Ore. Please apply by May 17. (Beaver JobNet ID 25530)
- NEW -- McKinstry’s summer paid Design Engineer internship program is geared toward students studying project management, mechanical and electrical engineering and construction management. The application deadline is May 19. (Beaver JobNet ID 28991)
- International Forest Products Limited (Interfor) is currently recruiting for a Continuous Improvement Technician for our Molalla sawmill based in Molalla, Oregon. Applications are accepted until May 26. (Beaver JobNet ID 28320)
- Stahlbush Island Farms is looking for a Mechanical Engineer at their Corvallis location. Applications are due by May 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 27610)
- Altech Aerospace seeks an entry-level aircraft structures engineer/stress analyst to work with assistance from senior professionals, and conduct technical writing, design and structural analyses related to the strength, fatigue, and damage tolerance of metallic aircraft structures. Application deadline is May 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28637)
- NEW -- NaturalPoint seeks an ME graduate for Technical Sales Engineer position in their Corvallis, Ore., location; the position requires travel. Applications are accepted until May 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28559)
- NEW -- HYDAC, a manufacturer in the fluid power industry is looking for an application engineer – cooling systems. The position ultimately is located in the Portland, Ore., area following a 9-month training in N. Carolina. Applications are due May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 29099)
- Maxim Integrated, a semiconductor manufacturer, seeks manufacturing and industrial engineering candidates for nationwide positions. The application deadline is May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25174)
- Safeway seeks applicants to its summer paid internship in manufacturing internship. Applications are accepted until May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25386)
- NACCO Materials Handling Group, a manufacturer of industrial lift trucks, has an opportunity for a controls engineer in our facility located in the Portland, Oregon area. Applications are accepted until June 1. (Beaver JobNet ID 28583)
- Isovolta, an international manufacturer of plastic and composite materials for transportation interiors in Harrisburg, Oregon, is seeking an experienced Material and Process Engineer to develop, document, implement, and troubleshoot materials and processes such as: adhesives, plastic films, laminates, coating, printing, drying, laminating, embossing, and pressing. Apply by June 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 28457)
- JVNW, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Intern (paid) for a 3- to 6-month post at their Canby, Ore., location. Applications are due by June 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28139)
- Lockheed Martin seeks a mechanical engineer to provide technical support to Navy and Lockheed Martin customers for issues related to Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) Program D5 Missile and Reentry Systems (RES) at its Silverdale, Wash., location. Applications are accepted until June 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 27890)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- Idaho State University has two post-doc opportunities available, a post doc research engineer – nuclear materials (Job ID 140565); and a researcher in nuclear engineering, materials science, physics or similar field who has experience at the nanoscale. (Job ID 140566) The positions are open until filled.
- Seattle University's Mechanical Engineering Department has an opening for a one year, full-time Lecturer, with the possibility of renewal, to begin September 2014. Responsibilities include teaching several courses, including thermodynamics, lecture and lab, and senior thermal, fluids, or energy electives, and advising senior design teams. Review of applications will begin May 10.
- The Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at the University of Denver invites applications for a one-year Lecturer position. The successful applicant will teach Engineering Introduction, Mechanics, Design, Fluids, Heat Transfer, Materials Science, and Thermodynamics as well as advise undergrads. The review of applications will begin immediately. Anticipated start date is Sept. 1, 2014.
- Prairie View A&M University Department of Mechanical Engineering is looking for candidates for two tenure-track faculty positions 1) Mechanical Design; and 2) Dynamic Systems and Control.