Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
April 27, 2015
This Week's Features
ASME Places 12th at Human-Powered Vehicle Competition
Oregon State ASME finished in 12th place overall at their debut appearance at last week's Human-Powered Vehicle Competition, west region. The event, held in San Jose, Calif., attracted more than 30 university teams, competing to design sustainable and practical transportation alternatives. Students work in teams to design and build efficient, highly engineered vehicles for everyday use. The young team, composed all of sophomores, scored solidly in most categories including design and innovation, with their best contributing ranking coming in the women's speed category. Go Beavs!
Dr. Smart’s Self-Driving Wheelchair Funded by NSF
Congratulations to Dr. Bill Smart, who has received a National Science Foundation award funding his research "Refinement and Evaluation of a Robotic Wheelchair System.” The research aims to equip an electric wheelchair with an operating system that can respond to verbal commands or eye blinks. As well, software similar to GPS navigation would guide its user through mapped floor plans in a home. The “smart” wheelchair will greatly enhance mobility of those with disabled arms and legs.
This Friday: Energy Systems Engineering Info Session and Office Hours
Robin Feuerbacher, Program Lead of Energy Systems Engineering (ESE) at OSU-Cascades in Bend, will be presenting to pre-engineering students about the ESE B.S. degree this Friday, May 1, from 4-5 pm in Rogers 237. Dr. Feuerbacher will also have an open office hour from 11 am -12 noon in Dearborn 308 to answer any questions about the ESE program.
Student Volunteers for Undergrad Engineering Expo
The 2015 Undergraduate Engineering Expo is getting closer! We’re looking for students who want to help out with this huge, crowd-drawing event. We need volunteers to set up on May 14 and to work the event on May 15. Everyone who volunteers for two or more hours receives a free t-shirt. Sign up today at the OSU Engineering Expo 2015 site.
Biomedical Sciences Panel Event
The Oregon State chapter of the Biomedical Engineering Society is hosting a biomedical sciences panel event, bringing in industry representatives for networking and other opportunities. Participants will hear about current biomedical research conducted campus. As well, if you have a research poster that you'd like to present, please sign up online. The group also asks for an RSVP to attend the event. : http://bit.ly/BioMedPanel2015. Please RSVP for the event at this link: http://bit.ly/BioMedPanelEvent2015
DATE: Tuesday, May 5 | TIME: 5-7 pm | PLACE: MU Horizon Room
Mark Your Calendar
Biomedical Sciences Panel Event
Come join us for a great networking event! You will have the opportunity to hear from industry representatives and ask questions as well as see what research is being conducted around campus. If you are interested in presenting a research poster, please sign up online. The group also asks for an online RSVP to attend the event.
DATE: Tuesday, May 5 | TIME: 5-7 pm | PLACE: MU Horizon Room
EWB-OSU Tenth Anniversary Banquet
The EWB-OSU Annual Banquet is coming up soon, and also celebrates the group’s ten-year anniversary. It will be on May 3, the Sunday of Mom’s Weekend, in the Memorial Union Ballroom, 5-8 pm. Tickets are $50 (general) and $35 (OSU students). All proceeds go directly to enabling the chapter to continue its work with communities abroad. Help support Engineers without Borders by purchasing tickets in advance on their website. The event, "A 10-Year Quest for Water," is the chapter's annual fundraising banquet and will include company representatives from CH2M HILL, Boeing, HP, Daimler, Nike and others.
COE MECOP Workshop
The College of Engineering will offer the following workshops spring term. It is a drop-in session, with no RSVP required. Tues., April 28: MECOP Interview Prep Workshop, 4 pm, Kearney 112
Boeing Day is May 14
Boeing will host a “Boeing Day” on campus May 14, with several sessions in the College of Engineering and College of Business. Please join in for:
Boeing Resume Workshop (10-11 am)
Thursday, May 14, in KEC 1007
Boeing Information Session (5-6:30 pm)
Thursday, May 14, in Dearborn 118; refreshments will be provided.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Summer School at MIME
The School of MIME plans to offer the following IE, MATS, ME and MFGE courses this summer. Taking courses in the summer is a great way to catch up or get ahead in your coursework. Summer courses are subject to cancellation based on enrollment. We are in the process of updating the catalog and the Academic Plans with the NEW courses. Days and times for the new courses will be listed once they have been added to the summer catalog. Planned offerings: IE 212, IE 366, IE 415 (new), IE 470 (new), MATS 321, MATS 322, ME 311, ME 331 (new), ME 332, ME 373 (new), ME 382, ME 383 (new), ME 413 (new), ME 451, MFGE 436 (new), MIME 399 – 3D Printing. (This is a NEW special topics course).
RSVP Online for the MIME Graduation Ceremony
Students! Help us get ready for the June 2015 MIME commencement ceremony, and let us know if you, your friends, and family plan to attend the ceremony and garden reception that follows. Please complete survey even if you cannot attend. As well, here is a reminder that you should schedule your senior pictures. There’s limited times and days available at this stage, so please sign up now. (Grad student, you can also use this link to schedule a time for your portrait to add to the online Graduate Student Directory.) Senior Pictures Location is Rogers Hall 238, Advising Office. Please be sure to get your information submitted by Friday, May 22.
ROTC Joint Services Review
The Army, Navy/Marine, and Air Force Reserve Officer Training Programs (ROTC) at Oregon State University will hold their annual Joint Service Review on May 1, at the Memorial Union Quad at 10 am. This event is a long-standing tradition, which allows cadets and midshipmen to participate in a formal review before commissioning as officers in the various military services. The annual Joint Service Review at OSU is a formal military parade that dates back as far as 1918, when the state governor reviewed soon to be officers during World War I. The reviewing official and guest speaker will be Lieutenant Colonel Bruce “Snake” Crandall (RET), a Medal of Honor recipient.
MPRL Opening Hours – Week Five, Spring Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8 – 10 am, 12 – 1pm, 3 – 5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Wednesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Friday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Saturday – 9 am – 5 pm
Apply by May 3 to Summer Term Pro-School
The application for the summer term Pro-School application site is now live at the COE site, and please note summer term application is open from April 13 to May 3. Be sure to review the Apply to Engineering Professional Program page for updated information regarding pre-core classes, GPA requirements and more. If you have any questions or concerns, please see your advisor or contact Brett.Jeter@oregonstate.edu.
Scholarships and Fellowships
Minority Transportation Scholarship
The Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO) offers a variety of scholarships ranging from $2,500 to $7,500 to deserving students nationwide. Selections are made annually by a team of industry professionals and representatives from the academic community. The National Scholarship Program supports the mission of COMTO by promoting, strengthening and expanding the roles of minorities in all aspects of transportation. Applications should be postmarked by May 8.
The Great Minds in STEM (GMiS) 2015-16 HENAAC Scholarship
Graduating high school seniors, undergraduate students and graduate students, who intend to or are currently pursuing a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) degree at an accredited college/university in the U.S. or Puerto Rico, are encouraged to apply for these merit-based Great Minds in STEM (GMiS) scholarships. In addition, students must have an overall minimum 3.0 GPA and must be of Hispanic descent or demonstrate leadership/service within the Hispanic community. Scholarship awards range from $500 - $10,000. DEADLINE: April 30, 2015
Job and Internship Opportunities
Working at the OSU Sustainability Office is an opportunity for students to get involved with sustainability at OSU. The office currently is recruiting students to fill two paid positions beginning in May 2015 and running through at least the end of the 2016 academic year. The Energy Project Student Technical Assistant is responsible for reading OSU utility meters, maintaining and transporting the Solar Trailer, helping to plan and manage energy and water conservation projects and other similar tasks. The Digital Media and Marketing Student Outreach Assistant delivers marketing and outreach via the web, social media and in person. This position supports office staff in developing and delivering various programs that promote behavior change. Applications for both positions are due by 5 pm, April 30.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Dawson Construction, Inc. seeks a Project Management Internship Location: Bellingham, WA Beaver Careers ID: 5024 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Intern, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Beaver Careers ID: 2792 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- ProIT Inc. seeks a BigData Analyst Location: Across US Beaver Careers ID: 4031 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- ProIT Inc. seeks a Business Intelligence Developer Location: Across US Beaver Careers ID: 4033 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Inventory Services and Control - Business Analyst Location: Portland, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4216 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Peri Software Solutions seeks a Programmer Analyst Location: Newark,NJ Beaver Careers ID: 4708 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Dassault Systemes seeks an Education Material Internship Location: Seattle Wa Beaver Careers ID: 4738 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Operations Mechanical Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4722 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Beaver Careers ID: 4552 Job ad expires on: 5/1/2015
- Hollingsworth & Vose seeks a Junior Process Engineer Location: Corvallis, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 4305 Job ad expires on: 5/1/2015
- Littau Harvester seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Stayton, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 4981 Job ad expires on: 5/3/2015
- O-I seeks a Process Improvement Engineer #2742 Location: Portland, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5000 Job ad expires on: 5/4/2015
- Public Utilities Commission of Nevada seeks a Senior Engineering (Water) Analyst Location: Las Vegas or Carson City Beaver Careers ID: 5328 Job ad expires on: 5/8/2015
- Alliance Window Company seeks an Engineer Location: Aurora, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5111 Job ad expires on: 5/10/2015
- Alliance Window Company seeks a Project Management Trainee Location: Aurora, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5113 Job ad expires on: 5/10/2015
- OSIsoft seeks a Customer Support Engineer Location: San Leandro, CA (Bay Area) Beaver Careers ID: 5114 Job ad expires on: 5/10/2015
- Hewlett Packard seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Corvallis, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 5116 Job ad expires on: 5/10/2015
- Antra Inc seeks an Entry Level Java Developer Location: Multiple Location Beaver Careers ID: 5169 Job ad expires on: 5/12/2015
- Perka seeks a Product Support Specialist Location: Portland, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5197 Job ad expires on: 5/15/2015
- Casper, Phillips & Associates seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: Tacoma Beaver Careers ID: 5202 Job ad expires on: 5/15/2015
- Northwest Staffing Resources seeks an Engineer Technician, Temporary Location: Vancouver, WA Beaver Careers ID: 5592 Job ad expires on: 5/15/2015
- Rang Technologies Inc seeks a Data Scientist Location: Piscataway Beaver Careers ID: 5237 Job ad expires on: 5/17/2015
- Rang Technologies Inc seeks an IT Recruiter Location: Piscataway Beaver Careers ID: 5239 Job ad expires on: 5/17/2015
- BendBroadband seeks a Network Analyst Intern Location: Bend, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5253 Job ad expires on: 5/17/2015
- Marvin Wood Products seeks a Student Intern Engineering Location: Baker City, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 5255 Job ad expires on: 5/17/2015
- Modo Inc. seeks a Design Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5268 Job ad expires on: 5/18/2015
- O-I seeks a Maintenance Mechanic Location: Portland, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5338 Job ad expires on: 5/24/2015
- Beta Soft Systems Inc. seeks a Quality Assurance/Software tester analyst Location: Ore., Calif., Wash. Beaver Careers ID: 5370 Job ad expires on: 5/25/2015
- RBD Instruments, Inc. seeks an Electronics Support Engineer Location: Bend, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5409 Job ad expires on: 5/26/2015
- Antra Inc seeks a Java Developer Location: Nation Wide Beaver Careers ID: 2431 Job ad expires on: 5/29/2015
- Express Employment Professionals seeks an Automation Specialist Location: Bend, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 5429 Job ad expires on: 5/29/2015
- Nordstrom seeks a Software Engineer 1 Location: Seattle, WA Beaver Careers ID: 5437 Job ad expires on: 5/29/2015
- Translations.com seeks a Localization Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5450 Job ad expires on: 5/30/2015
- Coyote Logistics seeks a National Account Manager Sales Trainee Location: Wilsonville, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5461 Job ad expires on: 5/30/2015
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services Management Trainee 2015 Location: Fort Worth, Texas Beaver Careers ID: 2945 Job ad expires on: 5/31/2015
- BNSF Railway seeks an Engineering Management Trainee 2015 Location: Systemwide, US Beaver Careers ID: 2942 Job ad expires on: 5/31/2015
- Thermogen Technologies, Inc. seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4799 Job ad expires on: 6/6/2015
- Dome Construction Corporation seeks a Project Engineer Location: South San Francisco Beaver Careers ID: 1657 Job ad expires on: 6/24/2015
- ANR Group Inc. seeks a Paid Summer 2015 Internships Location: Richland, WA Beaver Careers ID: 3541 Job ad expires on: 6/30/2015
- Precision Measurements and Instruments Corporation (PMIC) seeks a Project Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5517 Job ad expires on: 6/30/2015
- Delta Construction Corporation seeks an Engineer I Location: Kapolei, Oahu, Hawaii Beaver Careers ID: 3924 Job ad expires on: 6/30/2015
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.