Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
April 18, 2016
This Week's Features
“Beaver Bolt Racing” Debuts at Eco-Shell Marathon
Oregon State ASME student chapter, advised by Dr. Chris Hoyle, will send nine students to Detroit this week to compete in the Shell Eco-Marathon. The Shell Eco-marathon is a unique competition that challenges students around the world to design, build and drive the most energy-efficient car. With three annual events in Asia, Americas and Europe, student teams take to the track to see who goes further on the least amount of fuel. The MIME project to build the car -- which the team named “Beaver Bolt” -- began last summer, and relied the efforts of numerous ASME students including members of the chassis team, the body team as well as fundraising and donation initiative teams.
The team has been working nearly round the clock in the past few days to perfect things ahead of their inaugural trip to the competition. Contributions include an outstanding effort from Brian Bove, School of EECS senior, who contributed his extensive knowledge to the design of the electrical system as well as 2015 ASME President Chase Jones, and 2016 President Austin Sandifer.
EWB Annual Fundraising Banquet: Reserve Your Tickets
The EWB-OSU Annual Banquet will be April 23 in the Memorial Union Ballroom. All proceeds go directly to the EWB chapter to continue its work with community projects around the world. Engineers Without Borders is a non-profit humanitarian organization that partners with developing communities world-wide to improve their quality of life and meet their basic human needs. Food, drinks, and performances -- support the Engineers Without Borders by purchasing tickets at EWB website -- it is the feel-good event of the month. Please be sure to spread the word about this great event. Tickets are $50 for the general public and $35 for Oregon State students.
EWB Banquet | DATE: Sat., April 23 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: MU Ballroom
Volunteers Needed – Wave Lab Open House Tours
Here is a great way to learn about the Wave Lab: Volunteer for the Mom’s Weekend Open House and you can become an expert wave lab tour guide. The Wave Lab is hosting an open house Sat., April 30, from 1-4 pm and we need tour guides. The tour is a 20-minute laboratory tour. Training is provided, and each tour station is posted with informational posters to prompt the dialog. Typically, guides provide the tours in pairs. Tour guides will receive a wave lab t-shirt. There are two volunteer shifts -- 12:30 to 2:30 and 2:00 to 4:30. Tour-guide trainings are scheduled from 2:30 to 3:30 on April 27 and 28, or at other times by request. If you are interested in volunteering for the Mom’s Weekend Open House, please sign-up.
Mark Your Calendar
Daimler Day is April 19
Daimler will visit Oregon State campus on April 19 for three recruiting sessions. At Daimler Day, students will hear about internship and job opportunities, network with Daimler engineers, and learn about their work culture, Reserve your place at one if the sessions; pizza and soda available.
Daimler Day | DATE: Tues., April 19 | TIME: 3 pm (Session 1); 4 pm (Session 2; 5 pm (Session 3) | PLACE: Austin Hall - Market Place
SpaceX Day is April 26
SpaceX will be attending the Spring Career Expo here in a couple of weeks and will be holding a special information session on Tues., April 26, from 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm in Kelly Engineering Center 1001. This is an excellent opportunity to market yourself and possibly gain entrance into the fast paced and exciting world of Space Exploration Technologies. SpaceX is seeking individuals interested in Fall 2016 internships / co-ops or entry-level full time positions.
SpaceX Day | DATE: Tues., April 26 | TIME: 6-7 pm | PLACE: KEC 1001
Spring Career Expo for All Majors
The Spring Career Expo, organized by the Oregon State Career Development Center, will bring more than 100 employers to campus on April 27, from 11 am to 4 pm at the CH2M Hill Alumni Center. Companies attending include E. & J. Gallo Winery, Garmin, Intel Corporation, SpaceX. Students can register to attend as well as attend numerous preparatory workshops ahead of time including speed mock interviews. Don’t miss it!
Pro-School Summer Application is Open
The Pro-School application for summer term admissions has been opened and all applications are due by 11:55pm on Sat., April 30. As well, the college will be hosting two pro-school application workshops:
Mon., April 25 (4:00-5:00pm) in KEARNEY 305
Tues., April 26 (4:00-5:00pm) in KEARNEY 112
If you have any questions please refer the Pro-School FAQ page, or contact the Office of Student Services by calling 541-737-5236, or stopping by the office at Batcheller 151.
Graduate Students – Photo Session & Come Check Your Mailboxes in Dearborn 114
Graduate students – here is a friendly reminder for some “spring cleaning.” Come check your mailboxes in Dearborn 114. Some are quite full. A perfect opportunity is This Friday – when you may also sit for a portrait for the Graduate Student Directory.
Grad Student Portraits | DATE: Fri., April 22 | TIME: 9:30 to 3:30 (closed for lunch) | PLACE: Dearborn 114
MPRL Opening Hours – Spring Term, Week Four
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 2 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 12 - 9 pm | Wednesday – 2 - 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 12 - 9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Wave Lab Open House – 1- 4 pm on Sat., April 30
O.H. Hinsdale Wave Research Laboratory -- the largest tsunami research facility in the US -- will be hosting an open house on Sat., April 30. The lab will be open for 20-minute guided tours and demonstrations. Tours start every 5 minutes on a first-come, first-serve basis, and cover tsunami research, coastal hazards in Oregon, and coastal engineering. Address: 3550 SW Jefferson, west of 35th St. on Jefferson. For any questions, please contact Alicia Lyman-Holt, email@example.com.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
Great Minds in STEM (GMiS) 2016 HENAAC Scholarships
Graduating high school seniors, undergraduate students and graduate students, who intend to or are currently pursuing a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) degree at an accredited college/university in the U.S. or Puerto Rico, are encouraged to apply for the merit-based Great Minds in STEM scholarships. Students must have an overall minimum 3.0 GPA and must be of Hispanic descent or demonstrate strong leadership or service within the Hispanic community. Scholarship awards range from $500 - $10,000. Apply by April 30.
Oregon NASA Space Grant Scholarships and Fellowships
The Oregon NASA Space Grant Consortium (OSGC) is pleased to offer $3000 scholarships and fellowships for community college and undergraduate students in the STEM fields and graduate students enrolled in an MAT program in STEM education. Scholarships and fellowships are open to students attending OSGC member institutions. Application deadline is May 20. For more information go to: http://spacegrant.oregonstate.edu/scholarships.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) has an opening for a Production and Process Improvement Intern – Summer 2016 at its Salem, OR, location. Intern would be supporting the Production Manager and Process Improvement Manager with two critical projects. Plant is in the process of GFSI (Global Food Safety Initiative). Intern will support the project with development of standard processes to meet the GFSI standard for ISO 22000. Intern will also support internal continual improvement process through data analysis of downtime and production efficiencies in Shop Floor. Apply by April 29.
Daimler is recruiting for its CAReer - The Top Talent Program, which seeks entry-level professionals who have recently graduated with an advanced degree to participate in an organization-wide, global rotational training program before beginning full-time positions with Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA). Positions include Composite Design, Mechatronics Architecture Engineer and a Product Validation Engineer
Intel's Data Center Group is looking for an Intern with Industrial Engineer background to work on the DCG Lab Management Team. (DCG Lab Operational Efficiency Intern - 793996 ) The Lab Management Team is defining, piloting, and deploying lab processes around the world that makes possible the design and validation of Servers. Initially this position will be supporting Asset Management and Lab Efficiency Activities. Subsequent focus will be applying Time and Motion studies, equipment capacity analysis, layout designs, project management, data management and analysis, etc.
The CIRE Lab is seeking a sophomore or junior level student to maintain the group website. The student must have experience with creating websites and using Drupal. Interested students need to send a resume to Dr. David Blunck (David.Blunck@oregonstate.edu)
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- Long Painting Company seeks an Estimator/Project Manager Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10711
- Sierra Institute for Community and Environment seeks a Natural Resource Education and Recreation Internship Location: Taylorsville, CA Job ad expires on: 4/23/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11652
- L&M Industrial Fabrication seeks a Senior Project Manager Location: Tangent Job ad expires on: 4/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10820
- Cardno ChemRisk seeks a Health Scientist/Consultant Location: San Francisco, CA; Aliso Viejo, CA; Boulder, CO; Washington, DC; Chicago, IL; Brooklyn, NY; Pittsburgh, PA; Houston, TX Job ad expires on: 4/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10833
- Toll Brothers, Inc. seeks an Assistant Project Manager Location: Kirkland Job ad expires on: 4/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10832
- Nan Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Various (Maui, Oahu, etc) Job ad expires on: 4/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10847
- EPA Environmental Research and Business Support Program seeks an EPA Facilities Operations Support Associate Location: Corvallis OR Job ad expires on: 4/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10863
- Mu Sigma Inc seeks an Associate / Engagement Manager Location: United States Job ad expires on: 4/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10850
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Electrical/Signal) – Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9411
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) – Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9412
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9413
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Mechanical Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9414
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9416
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks a HVAC Careers Location: Tualatin, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10193
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks an AutoCAD Drafter / Assistant Estimator Location: Tualatin, OR Job ad expires on: 4/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10184
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory seeks a University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 4/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11460
- Collins Agricultural Consultants Inc. seeks a Research Technician Location: Oregon City Job ad expires on: 5/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8939
- Daimler Trucks North America seeks a Product Validation Engineer - CAReer - The Top Talent Program Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11607
- Daimler Trucks North America seeks a Global Engineer - Composite Design - CAReer - The Top Talent Prgoram Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11608
- Rang Technologies Inc seeks a Data Scientist Location: Piscataway, NJ Job ad expires on: 5/3/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11149
- Apple, Inc. seeks an AppleCare College Program - Oregon State University Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 5/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7617
- Cabot Microelectronics seeks an Operations Intern Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 5/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10895
- Modis Recruiting seeks a Network Architect Location: Portland Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11057
- Veritas seeks a Space Planning/Facilities Project Management Intern Location: Mountain View Job ad expires on: 5/9/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11134
- The Odom Corporation seeks an IS Intern Location: Bellevue, WA Job ad expires on: 5/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11286
- Norchem Corp seeks a Field Service Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11294
- PERI Formwork Systems, Inc. seeks a PERI Design Engineer Location: Woodland, WA Job ad expires on: 5/17/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11316
- AT&T seeks a Technology Development Program - Technology Operations Location: Redmond, WA Job ad expires on: 5/17/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11325
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration seeks a Junior Officer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 5/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6188
- Paradigm Construction LLC seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu Job ad expires on: 5/23/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10782
- Columbia Cascade Company seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11443
- Sagetech Corporation seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: White Salmon, WA Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11467
- EFCO Corp. seeks an Engineer-in-Training Location: Kent, WA Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11471
- Myers Container seeks an Environmental Regulatory & Safety Manager Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11473
- The International Council on Clean Transportation seeks an Aviation Program Associate Location: San Francisco, CA Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11476
- Wasco County seeks an Engineering Tech I - Temporary Location: The Dalles, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11497
- Infosys seeks a Systems Engineer Location: Multiple locations Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9791
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Range Safety Officer (RSO) Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10427
- First-Tek Inc is Hiring for QA with Selenium Location: CA Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9874
- First-Tek Inc is Hiring for SQL BI Location: NJ Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9875
- Intel Corporation seeks an Automation Engineer Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10712
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10911
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10912
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors has a Engineering Summer Internship - FT Paid Location: Tualatin, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10943
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a Cellar Operations Engineering Internship Location: Modesto Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11175
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks a USDA Biochemist/Chemist Postgraduate Research Opportunity Location: Peoria, IL Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11207
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11231
- Infosys seeks a UI/UX Designer Location: Multiple locations Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11234
- Infosys seeks a Technology Analyst Location: Multiple locations Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11236
- Infosys seeks a Senior Systems Engineer Location: Multiple locations Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11238
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11493
- JE Dunn Construction seeks a Project Engineer | Field Engineer | Mechanical/Electrical Engineer | Estimator Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 6/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6786
- Lane County seeks an Engineering Associate/ Engineering Analyst Location: Eugene, OR Job ad expires on: 6/7/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11726
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a Coastal Operations Department Internship Location: Healdsburg, St. Helena, Napa, San Miguel, San Luis Obispo Job ad expires on: 6/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10557
- 3D InFusion seeks an Eng. Tech. 1 Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 6/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6667
- 3D InFusion seeksn a Eng. Tech. 1 Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 6/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6668
- Moses Lake Industries seeks a Chemist I Location: Portland Job ad expires on: 6/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10975
- Mettler Toledo Product Inspection seeks an Engineering Detailer (Autodesk Inventor) Location: Tampa Job ad expires on: 5/16/201 Beaver Careers ID: 11284
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Vanderbilt University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of nanomaterials, for solving critical energy issues. Apply by May 1.
- The Jet Propulsion Laboratory at California Institute of Technology has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar. The study is in the area of Direct Numerical Simulation (DNS) and Large Eddy Simulation (LES) of high-pressure turbulent reactive flows. Applicants should e-mail the following material: 1) a complete Curriculum Vitae, with lists of (i) refereed journal publications and (ii) name, address, e-mail and telephone number of at least three references. 2) An electronic copy for each of his/her most recent journal publications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.