This Week's Features
Read the latest issue of the School of MIME's newsletter, Forefront.
Mark Your Calendar
Science Pub Portland: Designing Robots to Walk and Run
Join Jonathan Hurst, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Oregon State University. Designing passive dynamics, which are generated by the mechanical hardware, and software control algorithms together in tight integration can drastically improve the performance of a machine as measured by efficiency, agility, and robustness to disturbances.
April 18 | 7 p.m. | Empirical Theater at OMSI
Biomedical Engineering Society Industry Panel Event
The goal of this event is to provide students interested in Biomedical Engineering the opportunity to present research, network, learn about professionals in the industry, get answers to graduate school questions and gain valuable advice about life after graduation in the biotech industry. Event includes hot d’oeuvres and beverages, a student poster session, a panel of five industry members, and networking time. Please arrive in business casual attire. More information.
April 20 | 5 - 7 p.m. | Memorial Union Horizon Hall
Woodshop Safety Seminar Open to current and past ME250 students (you must have a ME250 name tag to attend). Capacity is limited to 12 students. Email Darin Kempton at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to attend.
April 21 | 10 - 11:30 a.m. | Rogers 106
Thermal Fluid Science Seminar with Dr. Adrienne Little from X (formally known as Google [X])
What’s Hot in Heat Transfer: Combining Perspectives from Academia, Government, and Industry on the Next Generation of Thermal Energy Systems
The vast majority of energy conversion processes occur through thermal pathways, and these pathways are dictated by the fundamental limitations of heat transfer and thermodynamics. Since the advent of the first heat engines, some of the basic building blocks of these systems have remained relatively unchanged, and to this day, are still responsible for substantial restrictions on system efficiency and cost. Effective innovation paths for the development of future thermal energy systems depend on new component design concepts, novel materials-focused manufacturing techniques, and incorporated system architectures. This talk will describe some of the most interesting recent advances in thermal system components, and discuss the roles of academia, government agencies, and industry in the complex path from discovery to final product implementation.
April 21 | 1 - 2 p.m. | Rogers 226
Spring 2017 HWeekend - Impact Oregon!
HWeekend returns April 23-23! This free hardware development competition, sponsored by the College of Engineering, College of Business, and InnovationX, brings students of all levels and majors together with industry and faculty mentors to create something new. Students work together in teams to create a marketable project they can demonstrate and pitch to judges at the end of the weekend. The theme for this event is Impact Oregon! Come together with a group of friends to make something that is uniquely Oregon or could help Oregon citizens. More info: webpage, video. Application deadline: April 5. Learn how to participate .
April 22-23 | Austin Hall
COE Faculty Development Workshop
This workshop focuses on ways to recruit, retain, and mentor GTAs and GRAs.
April 28, | 4 - 6:30 p.m. | 1003 Kelley Engineering Center
Undergraduate Engineering Expo 2017
This year's Senior Design Showcase features nearly 200 student-built projects from across the disciplines: Biological & Ecological Engineering; Chemical, Biological & Environmental Engineering; Civil & Construction Engineering; Electrical Engineering & Computer Science; Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering; and Nuclear Science & Engineering. OSU engineering students may volunteer for this event. Volunteer for at least two hours and receive a free t-shirt. More information. Register to volunteer here.
May 19 | 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. | Kelley Engineering Center, Johnson Hall & the community plaza
President's Commission on the Status of Women seeks nominations for the 2017 University Mentoring and Professional Development Award. This award, presented each September at University Day, recognizes any classified, professional faculty, or faculty member who excels in mentoring, supporting, and encouraging OSU employees, especially women and those from under-represented groups or non-traditional careers. The deadline for nominations is May 1.
The Human Factors and Ergonomics (HFES) Student Chapter at OSU welcomes new members for the academic year 2016-2017. The aim of the organization is to provide a place for students who are interested in human factors and ergonomics to learn the field, share ideas and knowledge with peer students with similar interests, facilitate the dissemination of research of our faculty and students in the field of HFE, and help students to reinforce and develop professional skills. Several amazing events were planned for the new members this year! Don’t miss this opportunity to be part of one of the most recognized student organizations in Engineering for FREE. To get more information about the chapter please write us an email to email@example.com. Student from all academic disciplines are welcome! Looking forward to hear from you!
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
Job and Internship Opportunities
The CIRE and Propulsion Laboratories are looking for undergraduate research students who are interested in performing research over the summer. No experience is required. Interested students should contact Dr. Blunck (David.Blunck@oregonstate.edu).
The CIRE and Propulsion Laboratories are looking for an undergraduate student who is interested in maintaining the group website. Experience with Drupal or other website codes is desired. Interested students should contact Dr. Blunck (David.Blunck@oregonstate.edu).
Summer Internship in Corvallis at HP
HP Inc. has a position open for a Data Pipeline Engineering Intern for an undergraduate student (preferably juniors graduating in Spring 2018).The intern would be working in Corvallis's PageWide Web Press section. The requisition number for the position is 3002506 and is listed here.
Engineering By Design in San Jose, CA is seeking an intern for Summer 2017 to assist with a number of duties including mechanical and electrical assembly and testing of machines, making videos of machines in operation, compiling and analyzing test data, and more. This is a good opportunity for someone who likes to be around machinery and is interested in the design/development process in a small engineering/consulting firm. Please review the company's website, and if interested, contact Dale Henson, President & Owner.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- E. & J. Gallo seeks an Operations Technical Safety Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16274
- E. & J. Gallo seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16340
- E. & J. Gallo seeks a Process Technology Engineering Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16341
- Alston Construction seeks a Project Engineer Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17457
- Cambia Health Solutions seeks an Enterprise Website Migration Intern Location: Portland, OR, USA, 97201 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17482
- Flonomix seeks a Trainee Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17027
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) Operations Management Training Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 4/27/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16161
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 4/27/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16129
- Weyerhaeuser seeks a Production Supervisor Locations: Lebanon, Oregon Expires: 4/28/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17915
- Oracle Corporation seeks Manufacturing Engineer Intern Location: Hillsboro, OR Expires: 4/28/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17828
- Cambia Health Solutions seeks a Software Development Engineer Associate Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/28/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17622
- MWH Global seeks an Intern - Construction Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/28/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17630
- Sustainable Mechanical Systems seeks a Sales Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16296
- Revature LLC seeks Entry Level Software Engineer Location: Reston Beaver Careers ID: 17741 Posting expires: 5/5/2017
- MWH Global, now part of Stantec seeks a Project Engineer - Planning/Scheduling Focus Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/12/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17631
- MWH Global, now part of Stantec seeks a Project Engineer Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/12/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17632
- College Possible has College Possible AmeriCorps and VISTA Positions 17-18 Location: Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Milwaukee, Omaha, Portland, Philadelphia, Chicago Job ad expires on: 5/15/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17464
- Intel Corporation seeks a Lab Technician Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17462
- Apex Systems seeks a Recruiting Inside Sales Trainee (Recruiter) Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17466
- Apex Systems seeks a Delivery Recruiter Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17467
- Urban Teachers seeks a Urban Teacher Resident Location: Baltimore, MD Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17458
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI) seeks a 2017 Fall Congressional Intern Location: Washington, D.C. Job ad expires on: 5/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15537
- Overwatch Imaging seeks a Computer Vision Engineering Intern Location: Hood River, OR Job ad expires on: 5/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17503
- Reynolds & Reynolds seeks an Entry Level Outside Sales Trainee Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 5/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17495
- Umpqua Bank seeks a Project Technology Auditor Location: Tigard, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/23/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17558
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 5/28/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17645
- E. & J. Gallo seeks a Process Technology Engineering Intern Location: Livingston, Fresno, CA Job ad expires on: 6/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16341
- James Hardie Building Products seeks Engineer Development Program Location: Tacoma, WA; Fontana, CA Beaver Careers ID: 17748 Posting expires: 6/4/2017
- Hollingsworth & Vose seeks Manufacturing Engineering Summer Hire Intern Location: Corvallis, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 17753 Posting expires: 6/30/2017
- HR Cloud seeks Product Analyst Location: El Segundo Beaver Careers ID:17775 Posting expires: 7/5/2017
- HR Cloud seeks Business Analyst Location: El Segundo Beaver Careers ID:17776 Posting expires: 7/5/2017
- HR Cloud seeks Enterprise SaaS .NET Software Engineering Location: El Segundo Beaver Careers ID:17777 Posting expires: 7/5/2017
- Advance Testing Company, Inc. seeks Engineering TechnicianLocation: Campbell Hall Beaver Careers ID:17696 Posting expires: 8/31/2017
- Precision Measurements and Instruments Corporation (PMIC) seeks Project Engineer - Electrical / Mechanical / Materials Location: Corvallis, OR Beaver Careers ID: 17735 Posting expires: 10/1/2017
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.