This Week's Features
Dr. Haapala’s Industrial Sustainability Lab Featured in “Industrial Engineer”
Research within the MIME Industrial Sustainability Laboratory by Assistant Professor Karl Haapala and IE Ph.D. Candidate Hao Zhang is featured as a Front Line article in the April 2014 “Industrial Engineer” magazine and as the feature article in the April 2014 issue of “Industry Today.” The research also appears in the “Journal of Cleaner Production,” based on Hao Zhang's M.S. thesis work. It presents a sustainability assessment method for a production work cell.
TODAY: Catch up with Chris Hagen, OSU-Cascades, at the Corvallis Science Pub
At the April 14 Corvallis Science Pub, Chris Hagen of OSU-Cascades in Bend will discuss his research on a system that would enable homeowners to power their vehicles on natural gas at home. The Science Pub presentation, which is free and open to the public, begins at 6 pm in the Old World Deli located at 341 S.W. Second St. in Corvallis.
What: Chris Hagen at Science Pub | When: April 14, 6 pm | Where: Old World Deli, Corvallis.
Spring Term Career Fair
Oregon State Career Services has its Spring Career Fair on April 23, from 11:00 am - 4:00 pm at the CH2M Hill Alumni Center. Although this “all majors” fair does not has a complementing engineering day (as did the Fall and Winter events where employers recruit among the engineering schools) a number of attendees are looking for engineering majors. Be sure to review the Career Services web site for the companies recruiting Oregon State grads on this day!
Register for Summer Session
You do not need a PIN to register for Summer term, for which enrollment has opened as of April 13. Available course offerings are listed here: http://summer.oregonstate.edu/ or in the online catalog.
Mark Your Calendar
Nuclear Materials Seminar: Fueling the Future of Nuclear Power
The Nuclear Materials Spring term seminar series features a discussion with Dave Petti, Director, Idaho National Laboratory, “Advanced Gas Reactor TRISO Fuel Development and Qualification Program: Fueling the Future of Nuclear Power”. The lecture is Thursday, April 17, at 3 pm in 149 Weniger Hall.
Cascades Association of Energy Engineers Brings Back OSU Alum
The Cascades student chapter of the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) is hosting Mr. Greg Nesbitt, former CEO and senior vice president of bulk power supply at Central Louisiana Electric Corporation, to speak about his career experiences on Thurs., April 17, from 11 to 11:50 pm in Cascades 104 at OSU-Cascades in Bend. Mr. Nesbitt, also an OSU ME graduate and a member of the OSU Engineering Hall of Fame, stated that OSU's Energy Systems Engineering curriculum is “tailored for someone with a career like mine.”
Bend Research “Development of Spray Drying Processes for Biotherapeutics"
Bioengineering alumnus John Baumann, Director of Engineering, Bend Research will discuss “Development of Spray Drying Processes for Biotherapeutics” in a seminar for faculty. The event, hosted by the School of CBEE, brings the drug-delivery technologies developer back to Oregon State for the seminar as well as student-recruiting activities. Baumann's discussion will give a summary of the process development strategy and case studies related to formulation and process optimization will be discussed that span a wide variety of drug delivery technologies.
Faculty Seminar: Wed., April 16, 4 pm | WHERE: Kearney 212
For students: CBEE Club along with IEEE and ASME are welcoming Bend Research to the OSU campus to discuss opportunities at their company, and pizza will be provided. Planning on attending? Please RSVP online so we have enough pizza and beverages for everyone. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Student Session: Wed., April 16 at 7pm | WHERE: Weniger 151.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer: This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
American Control Conference 2014 Workshops
The American Control Conference offers well-attended full-day and half-day workshops in Portland, Oregon, addressing current and future topics in automatic control from experts in academia, national laboratories, and industry. The workshops at ACC 2014 will take place the days prior to the annual conference. Both half-day and full-day workshops will be offered on Mon., June 2, and Tues., June 3. Advanced registration for preconference workshops will be done through the conference registration website. Onsite registration at the conference venue also is available.
Take it Online: Fundamentals of Engineering Review Course
An FE review course has been set up online for those wishing to take the exam after graduation. Passing the Oregon Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying Fundamentals of Engineering Exam is the first step under Oregon law to become a licensed Professional Engineer. The FE Online Review offers eight recorded review lectures from Oregon State professors, class notes, and solutions to problems likely to appear in the FE exam. The material will remain online until Sept. 1. The fee is $80; registration ends June 1. Early registration is recommended.
COE International Study Programs
COE International Programs has set up a series of informational sessions designed to inform students about study-abroad options. All sessions take place in The Hub.
- Thurs., April 17: Study Abroad in Europe; 12:00 pm and 4:00 pm.
- Thurs., April 24: Scholarships for Study Abroad; 12:00 pm and 4:00 pm.
Wed, April 23
MIME Graduate Defense: “Differentiating Transportation Modes Using Bluetooth Sensor Data,” by Nadia Bathaee, Candidate for Master of Science in Industrial Engineering, 2:00 pm, Rogers 226.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Research Internships
Mechanical Engineering at Oakland University (OU) is accepting applicants to its National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Site, “AERIM: Automotive and Energy Research and Industrial Mentorship Program at Oakland University.” Application review will begin on April 15 and will continue until all 10 positions are filled.
The 2014-15 HENAAC Scholarship Program offers scholarships to graduate and undergraduate students of Hispanic descent pursuing an engineering, technology, science, or math field of study. Scholarships range from $500 - $10,000. For more information, contact Dr. Gary Cruz at email@example.com. Applications are due April 30.
The Oregon NASA Space Grant Consortium (OSGC) offers scholarships in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and STEM education. Online application links and other program information, including the 2014-15 Scholarship Program Guide, are also available online. Application Deadline: May 23.
Job and Internship Opportunities
FEATURED: Research/Postdoc or Postgrad Position at The Naval Research Laboratory
NEW - U.S. citizens with a doctorate, masters’, or undergraduate degree in mechanical, aerospace, or chemical engineering or a closely related field are invited to apply for a research position at the Navy Technology Center for Safety and Survivability, part of the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, D.C. The selected applicant will work with an R&D team on a variety of programs, implement new experimental designs, coordinate laboratory personnel, and interface with the Department of Defense and other government and non-government entities to develop new avenues of research. For more information, contact: Dr. Steven G. Tuttle Steven.Tuttle@nrl.navy.mil, Tel.: (202) 767-0810.
Bend Research is seeking a B.S. or M.S.-level mechanical engineer with an emphasis in control systems. The successful candidate will work on multidisciplinary teams to design and implement novel pharmaceutical process control systems. The company also has an informational session planned for students in Corvallis on April 16 at 7pm in Weniger 151.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings.
- Carestream in White City, Oregon, seeks a Systems Technician with Carestream Health’s Dry Film Coating Group. The person in this position will provide technical support for the Process and Product Engineering groups. Application deadline is April 21. (Beaver JobNet ID 26170)
- The Multnomah County Drainage District (MCDD) is seeking an engineering intern. MCDD provides flood protection by maintaining the Columbia River levee system and removing stormwater for residents and businesses. The application deadline is April 23. (Beaver JobNet ID 28506)
- Dyno Nobel is seeking two interns at its St Helens, Oregon, location for the summer, preferably in the discipline of chemical or mechanical engineering. Application Deadline: April 25. (Beaver JobNet ID 27341)
- Target Corp. seeks a Systems Engineer at its Albany, Oregon, location supporting the distribution center's production, focusing operational performance for equipment such as conveyors, sortation systems, scanners, cameras, depalletizers, print and apply systems, ASRS cranes, material handling robots, and SCADA devices and programs. The application deadline is April 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26861)
- NEW - Boise Cascade Corporation is looking for an Industrial Engineer responsible for evaluating and improving plant performance in the areas of safety, quality, production output and operating cost. Applications are accepted until April 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28532)
- NEW - Sandia National Laboratories has an immediate opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to join the Biomass Science and Conversion Technologies team at its Emeryville, Calif., location. Apply by My 4. (Beaver JobNet ID 28675)
- NEW - Arcadis, Inc., is recruiting for 25 entry-level civil/ environmental engineers for water/remediation work. The primary focus for these engineers will be project work on wastewater / water treatment planning, process evaluation, equipment selection, pilot testing, preliminary and final design, developing design reports, construction documents and specifications, as well as construction oversight and administration. Applications are accepted until May 9. Apply online at: www.arcadis-us.com.
- Amazon is looking for applicants with a degree in Degree in Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, General Management for positions of Area Manager, Operations. The application deadline is May 14. (Beaver JobNet ID 27644).
- Hollingsworth & Vose based in Corvallis seeks a Mechanical Engineering Summer Hire for work on projects related to design, maintenance, improvement and construction problems pertaining to the Company’s production and facility-related projects. Applications are accepted until May 15. (Beaver JobNet ID 28217)
- NEW - International Forest Products Limited (Interfor) is currently recruiting for a Continuous Improvement Technician for our Molalla sawmill based in Molalla, Oregon. Applications are accepted until May 26. (Beaver JobNet ID 28320)
- Stahlbush Island Farms is looking for a Mechanical Engineer at their Corvallis location. Applications are due by May 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 27610)
- NEW - Altech Aerospace seeks an entry-level aircraft structures engineer/stress analyst to work with assistance from senior professionals, and conduct technical writing, design and structural analyses related to the strength, fatigue, and damage tolerance of metallic aircraft structures. Application deadline is May 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28637)
- Maxim Integrated, a semiconductor manufacturer, seeks manufacturing and industrial engineering candidates for nationwide positions. The application deadline is May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25174)
- Safeway seeks applicants to its summer paid internship in manufacturing internship. Applications are accepted until May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25386)
- NEW - NACCO Materials Handling Group, a manufacturer of industrial lift trucks, has an opportunity for a controls engineer in our facility located in the Portland, Oregon area. Applications are accepted until June 1. (Beaver JobNet ID 28583)
- NEW - Isovolta, an international manufacturer of plastic and composite materials for transportation interiors in Harrisburg, Oregon, is seeking an experienced Material and Process Engineer to develop, document, implement, and troubleshoot materials and processes such as: adhesives, plastic films, laminates, coating, printing, drying, laminating, embossing, and pressing. Apply by June 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 28457)
- JVNW, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Intern (paid) for a 3- to 6-month post at their Canby, Ore., location. Applications are due by June 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28139)
- Lockheed Martin seeks a mechanical engineer to provide technical support to Navy and Lockheed Martin customers for issues related to Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) Program D5 Missile and Reentry Systems (RES) at its Silverdale, Wash., location. Applications are accepted until June 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 27890)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW - The Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at the University of Denver invites applications for a one-year Lecturer position. The successful applicant will teach Engineering Introduction, Mechanics, Design, Fluids, Heat Transfer, Materials Science, and Thermodynamics as well as advise undergrads. The review of applications will begin immediately. Anticipated start date is Sept. 1, 2014.
- NEW -- The Colorado School of Mines in Golden, Colorado, invites applications for the Director of its first-year engineering program, currently called EPICS, Engineering Practices Introductory Course Sequence. Preference will be given to applicants with a PhD as well as to applicants with a PE license. Review of applications will begin by April 21.
- The Division of Chemical, Bioengineering, Environmental, and Transport Systems (CBET) Engineering at the National Science Foundation is currently recruiting engineering professionals who wish to become Program Director of one of three current openings in the Catalysis & Biocatalysis, Thermal Transport Processes, and General and Age-Related Disabilities Programs.
- Kenai Peninsula College has faculty openings for those with extensive industry experience (any type of ‘process’ or instrumentation experience, including marine/ocean engineering) or those with strong teaching interests coupled with at least a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate engineering field.