Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
April 11, 2016
This Week's Features
National Science Foundation Honorable Mention for Robotics Grad Student
Robotics Master of Science student Dylan Jones has won an Honorable Mention from the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship for his research topic: Robust Robotic Control and Path Planning in Uncertain and Dynamic Environments. Jones is advised by Dr. Geoff Hollinger. The NSF accords Honorable Mention to meritorious applicants who do not receive fellowship awards. Honorable Mention is considered a significant academic achievement nationwide.
Renewable Energy Fellowship for Caitlyn Clark’s Graduate Studies
Caitlyn Clark, a first-year graduate student working in offshore renewable energy systems, won a fellowship from the AVANGRID Foundation. The fellowship covers one year of tuition and stipend. Clark is advised by Dr. Bryony DuPont. The AVANGRID Foundation supports initiatives that enhance the quality of life where AVANGRID and its subsidiaries operate, with a focus on energy sustainability, the environment, art and culture, and cooperation and solidarity.
“New Faces of Engineering” Honor of Dr. DuPont
Dr. Bryony DuPont, assistant professor of mechanical engineering has won the New Faces of Engineering award, conferred by DiscoverE, the engineering profession’s national organization for outreach, education, celebration, and volunteerism. Dr. DuPont was nominated by the ASME national chapter. DiscoverE, who are also organizers of Engineers Week, recognized Dr. DuPont for outreach activities encourage young women to pursue engineering education and careers.
AIAA Conference Brings Together Regional Students, MIME Alum
The OSU Student Branch of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) hosted the AIAA Region VI Student Paper Conference early this month attracting more than 70 students from universities in California, Washington, Nevada, Utah and Oregon. The students presented technical papers in graduate, team undergraduate and individual undergraduate categories. AIAA President and astronaut, Sandy Magnus, was the keynote speaker and presented the awards to the best presenteres. Participants also had a tour of Columbia Helicopters, which was led by School of MIME and AIAA alumni Anna Royce, Elle Johnson, Courtney Solem, Justin Hersch and Luke Zollinger, who are now employees of Columbia.
EWB Banquet: Reserve Your Tickets; Help Support Humanitarian Engineering
The EWB-OSU Annual Banquet will be April 23 in the Memorial Union Ballroom. All proceeds go directly to the EWB chapter to continue its work with community projects around the world. Engineers Without Borders is a non-profit humanitarian organization that partners with developing communities world-wide to improve their quality of life and meet their basic human needs. Food, drinks, and performances -- support the Engineers Without Borders by purchasing tickets at EWB website -- it is the feel-good event of the month. Please be sure to spread the word; tickets are $50 for the general public and $35 for Oregon State students.
EWB Banquet | DATE: Sat., April 23 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: MU Ballroom
Volunteers Needed – Wave Lab Open House Tours
Here is a great way to learn the Wave Lab: Volunteer for the Mom’s Weekend Open House and you can become an expert wave lab tour guide. The Wave Lab is hosting an open house Sat., April 30, from 1-4 pm and we need tour guides. The tour is a 20-minute laboratory tour. Training is provided, and each tour station is posted with informational posters to prompt the dialog. Typically, guides provide the tours in pairs. Tour guides will receive a wave lab t-shirt. There are two volunteer shifts -- 12:30 to 2:30 and 2:00 to 4:30. Tour-guide trainings are scheduled from 2:30 to 3:30 on April 27 and 28, or at other times by request. If you are interested in volunteering for the Mom’s Weekend Open House, please sign-up.
Mark Your Calendar
School of MIME Seminar Features Smart Manufacturing Research
Professor Robert X. Gao, Case Western Reserve University Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering chair, will present "Process-Embedded Sensing and Computational Intelligence for Improved Observability in Smart Manufacturing" for this week's MIME Seminar Series. The seminar highlights research conducted in the Electromechanical Systems Laboratory, in the area of process-embedded sensing and computational intelligence for improving the observability in manufacturing process monitoring and control, using polymer injection molding as an example. Dr. Gao is a Fellow of the ASME, SME, and IEEE, a Distinguished Lecturer of the IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society, and an elected member of the Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering. His research has been supported by major national research initiatives, such as NSF’s Emerging Frontier in Research and Innovation (EFRI), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), Sensors and Sensor Networks, and NIH’s Genes, Environment, and Health Initiative.
MIME Seminar Series | DATE: Fri., April 15 | TIME: 1 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Robotics Seminar Series Features Amherst Professor
Dr. Victor Lessor of University of Massachusetts Amherst will be presenting on "Coordinate Multi-Agent Learners." Dr. Lesser will overview his research group's recent work in melding multi-agent coordination technology with more complex single agent reinforcement learning for scaling multi-agent reinforcement learning (MARL) to large agent networks. Dr. Lesser's accomplishments include the prestigious IJCAI-09 Award for Research Excellence, distinction as a founding fellow of Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), and general chair of the first international conference on Multi-Agent Systems (ICMAS) in 1995. Coffee and pastries served.
Robotics Seminar Series | DATE: Wed., April 13 | TIME: 11 am – noon | PLACE: Rogers 226
Daimler Day is April 19
Daimler will visit Oregon State campus on April 19 for three recruiting sessions. At Daimler Day, students will hear about internship and job opportunities, network with Daimler engineers, and learn about their work culture, Reserve your place at one if the sessions; pizza and soda available.
Daimler Day | DATE: Tues., April 19 | TIME: 3 pm (Session 1); 4 pm (Session 2; 5 pm (Session 3) | PLACE: Austin Hall - Market Place
American Society for Metals Annual Evening for Dinner and Research
The Oregon Chapter of ASM International will hold its annual student night event on Tues., April 19 on the University of Portland campus. As a part of the event, there will be a student reserach presentation competition with cash prizes for top presentations. Student also receive a offer free dinner. Oregon State typically wins multiple prizes most years, so let's keep the tradition alive! Abstracts pertaining to materials science must be sent to Dr. Khalid Kahn at University of Portland. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ASM Poster Session | DATE: Tues., April 19 | TIME: 6-9 pm | PLACE: University of Portland, Hall of Fame Room, Chiles Center
Spring Career Expo for All Majors
The Spring Career Expo, organized by the Oregon State Career Development Center, will bring more than 100 employers to campus on April 27, from 11 am to 4 pm at the CH2M Hill Alumni Center. Companies attending include E. & J. Gallo Winery, Garmin, Intel Corporation, SpaceX. Students can register to attend as well as attend numerous preparatory workshops ahead of time including speed mock interviews. Don’t miss it!
MPRL Opening Hours – Spring Term, Week Three
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 2 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 12 - 9 pm | Wednesday – 2 - 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 12 - 9 pm | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Pro-School Summer Application is Open
The Pro-School application for summer term admissions has been opened and all applications are due by 11:55pm on Sat., April 30. As well, the college will be hosting two pro-school application workshops:
Mon., April 25 (4:00-5:00pm) in KEARNEY 305
Tues., April 26 (4:00-5:00pm) in KEARNEY 112
If you have any questions please refer the Pro-School FAQ page, or contact the Office of Student Services by calling 541-737-5236, or stopping by the office at Batcheller 151.
START SMART Salary Negotiation Workshop
Learning successful negotiation of a starting salary (and other benefits) can have enormous effects over the course of a career. WME is offering START SMART, a salary negotiation workshop on Thurs., May 19 4-7 pm in 126 Austin Hall. The event includes dinner. This workshop will lead you to knowledge of what is a reasonable salary range, strategies for negotiation, and will help you develop the confidence you need to be successful at promoting yourself. The workshop will be followed by a round table dinner discussion with prominent women in engineering fields. Space is limited; register today.
Volunteers Needed for OSU Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers Conference
The OSU Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) student chapter will be hosting the 2016 Regional Leadership Development Conference. More than 200 students and faculty are expected to attend. In order for the conference to be successful, the student chapter needs about 50 volunteers for the April 14-17 event for positions including registration table, setup and take down, and . If you want to help, please sign up.
WeDo Lego Robotics with Kindergartners
STEM Academy @ OSU is looking for mentors to help with small groups of 2-3 students during kindergarten WeDo Lego Robotics sessions throughout April and May. NO robotics experience necessary. You will also have a chance to tell students about your field of study and what you hope to do in the future with your degree. For more information or to sign up, contact Cathy Law; email@example.com
Chickadees: Mon.-Thurs., April 18-21, 8:15-9:45
Tigers: Mon.-Thurs., April 25-28, 8:15-9:45
Koalas: Mon.-Thurs., May 2-5, 8:15-9:45
Pinginos: Mon.-Thurs., May 9-12, 8:15-9:45
“Hackathon 1.0: Innovation Unscripted” Will Benefit OSU with Ideas, Proposals
Information Services invites all Oregon State employees to the "Hackathon 1.0: Innovation Unscripted," a one-day event for employees to collaborate, innovate, and build or propose something new for the benefit of university. It will take place Friday, May 6, from 8:30 am -5 pm in the Memorial Union. Unlike many hackathons, what you create does not have to be technical (for example, you could design a new process). There will be fun prizes, including the opportunity for one team to pitch their idea to campus leadership. This will be a day of fun, camaraderie and productivity. Participation is limited to twelve teams, so register soon. Registration is open from April 1 through 25.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
Great Minds in STEM (GMiS) 2016 HENAAC Scholarships
Graduating high school seniors, undergraduate students and graduate students, who intend to or are currently pursuing a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) degree at an accredited college/university in the U.S. or Puerto Rico, are encouraged to apply for the merit-based Great Minds in STEM scholarships. Students must have an overall minimum 3.0 GPA and must be of Hispanic descent or demonstrate strong leadership or service within the Hispanic community. Scholarship awards range from $500 - $10,000. Apply by April 30.
Oregon NASA Space Grant Scholarships and Fellowships
The Oregon NASA Space Grant Consortium (OSGC) is pleased to offer $3000 scholarships and fellowships for community college and undergraduate students in the STEM fields and graduate students enrolled in an MAT program in STEM education. Scholarships and fellowships are open to students attending OSGC member institutions. Application deadline is May 20. For more information go to: http://spacegrant.oregonstate.edu/scholarships.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Daimler is recruiting for its CAReer - The Top Talent Program, which seeks entry-level professionals who have recently graduated with an advanced degree to participate in an organization-wide, global rotational training program before beginning full-time positions with Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA). Positions include Composite Design, Mechatronics Architecture Engineer and a Product Validation Engineer
Intel's Data Center Group is looking for an Intern with Industrial Engineer background to work on the DCG Lab Management Team. (DCG Lab Operational Efficiency Intern - 793996 ) The Lab Management Team is defining, piloting, and deploying lab processes around the world that makes possible the design and validation of Servers. Initially this position will be supporting Asset Management and Lab Efficiency Activities. Subsequent focus will be applying Time and Motion studies, equipment capacity analysis, layout designs, project management, data management and analysis, etc.
The CIRE Lab is seeking a sophomore or junior level student to maintain the group website. The student must have experience with creating websites and using Drupal. Interested students need to send a resume to Dr. David Blunck (David.Blunck@oregonstate.edu)
Elizabeth Esponnette, assistant professor of product design at the University of Oregon, is searching for a summer robotics intern to work at the startup, unspun, of which she is a co-founder. unspun is applying robotics and 3D printing to soft goods manufacturing. Interested students should contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) seeks an OMSI Science Education Internship Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 4/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10082
- Lane County seeks an Engineering Associate Location: Eugene, OR Job ad expires on: 4/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11572
- Hitachi High Technologies America, Inc. seeks a Process Engineer I Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 4/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11636
- TTM Technologies seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Forest Grove, OR Job ad expires on: 4/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10935
- Nolan Transportation Group seeks a Carrier Operations Specialist Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 4/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11240
- Columbia Machine, Inc seeks a Mechanical/Electrical Intern Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 4/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10655
- Long Painting Company seeks an Estimator/Project Manager Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10711
- Sierra Institute for Community and Environment seeks a Natural Resource Education and Recreation Internship Location: Taylorsville, CA Job ad expires on: 4/23/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11652
- L&M Industrial Fabrication seeks a Senior Project Manager Location: Tangent Job ad expires on: 4/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10820
- Cardno ChemRisk seeks a Health Scientist/Consultant Location: San Francisco, CA; Aliso Viejo, CA; Boulder, CO; Washington, DC; Chicago, IL; Brooklyn, NY; Pittsburgh, PA; Houston, TX Job ad expires on: 4/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10833
- Toll Brothers, Inc. seeks an Assistant Project Manager Location: Kirkland Job ad expires on: 4/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10832
- Nan Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Various (Maui, Oahu, etc) Job ad expires on: 4/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10847
- EPA Environmental Research and Business Support Program seeks an EPA Facilities Operations Support Associate Location: Corvallis OR Job ad expires on: 4/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10863
- Mu Sigma Inc seeks an Associate / Engagement Manager Location: United States Job ad expires on: 4/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10850
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Electrical/Signal) – Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9411
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) – Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9412
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9413
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Mechanical Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9414
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9416
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks a HVAC Careers Location: Tualatin, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10193
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks an AutoCAD Drafter / Assistant Estimator Location: Tualatin, OR Job ad expires on: 4/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10184
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory seeks a University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 4/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11460
- Collins Agricultural Consultants Inc. seeks a Research Technician Location: Oregon City Job ad expires on: 5/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8939
- Daimler Trucks North America seeks a Product Validation Engineer - CAReer - The Top Talent Program Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11607
- Daimler Trucks North America seeks a Global Engineer - Composite Design - CAReer - The Top Talent Prgoram Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11608
- Rang Technologies Inc seeks a Data Scientist Location: Piscataway, NJ Job ad expires on: 5/3/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11149
- Apple, Inc. seeks an AppleCare College Program - Oregon State University Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 5/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7617
- Cabot Microelectronics seeks an Operations Intern Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 5/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10895
- Modis Recruiting seeks a Network Architect Location: Portland Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11057
- Veritas seeks a Space Planning/Facilities Project Management Intern Location: Mountain View Job ad expires on: 5/9/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11134
- The Odom Corporation seeks an IS Intern Location: Bellevue, WA Job ad expires on: 5/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11286
- Norchem Corp seeks a Field Service Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11294
- PERI Formwork Systems, Inc. seeks a PERI Design Engineer Location: Woodland, WA Job ad expires on: 5/17/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11316
- AT&T seeks a Technology Development Program - Technology Operations Location: Redmond, WA Job ad expires on: 5/17/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11325
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration seeks a Junior Officer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 5/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6188
- Paradigm Construction LLC seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu Job ad expires on: 5/23/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10782
- Columbia Cascade Company seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11443
- Sagetech Corporation seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: White Salmon, WA Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11467
- EFCO Corp. seeks an Engineer-in-Training Location: Kent, WA Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11471
- Myers Container seeks an Environmental Regulatory & Safety Manager Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11473
- The International Council on Clean Transportation seeks an Aviation Program Associate Location: San Francisco, CA Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11476
- Wasco County seeks an Engineering Tech I - Temporary Location: The Dalles, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11497
- Infosys seeks a Systems Engineer Location: Multiple locations Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9791
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Range Safety Officer (RSO) Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10427
- First-Tek Inc is Hiring for QA with Selenium Location: CA Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9874
- First-Tek Inc is Hiring for SQL BI Location: NJ Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9875
- Intel Corporation seeks an Automation Engineer Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10712
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10911
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10912
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors has a Engineering Summer Internship - FT Paid Location: Tualatin, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10943
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a Cellar Operations Engineering Internship Location: Modesto Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11175
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks a USDA Biochemist/Chemist Postgraduate Research Opportunity Location: Peoria, IL Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11207
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11231
- Infosys seeks a UI/UX Designer Location: Multiple locations Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11234
- Infosys seeks a Technology Analyst Location: Multiple locations Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11236
- Infosys seeks a Senior Systems Engineer Location: Multiple locations Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11238
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11493
- JE Dunn Construction seeks a Project Engineer | Field Engineer | Mechanical/Electrical Engineer | Estimator Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 6/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6786
- Lane County seeks an Engineering Associate/ Engineering Analyst Location: Eugene, OR Job ad expires on: 6/7/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11726
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a Coastal Operations Department Internship Location: Healdsburg, St. Helena, Napa, San Miguel, San Luis Obispo Job ad expires on: 6/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10557
- 3D InFusion seeks an Eng. Tech. 1 Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 6/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6667
- 3D InFusion seeksn a Eng. Tech. 1 Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 6/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6668
- Moses Lake Industries seeks a Chemist I Location: Portland Job ad expires on: 6/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10975
- Mettler Toledo Product Inspection seeks an Engineering Detailer (Autodesk Inventor) Location: Tampa Job ad expires on: 5/16/201 Beaver Careers ID: 11284
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The Russ College of Engineering and Technology at Ohio University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor Position in Industrial and Systems Engineering. Apply by April 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Vanderbilt University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of nanomaterials, for solving critical energy issues. Apply by May 1.
- The Jet Propulsion Laboratory at California Institute of Technology has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar. The study is in the area of Direct Numerical Simulation (DNS) and Large Eddy Simulation (LES) of high-pressure turbulent reactive flows. Applicants should e-mail the following material: 1) a complete Curriculum Vitae, with lists of (i) refereed journal publications and (ii) name, address, e-mail and telephone number of at least three references. 2) An electronic copy for each of his/her most recent journal publications to email@example.com
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.