ME 373 or instructor approval
308 Rogers Hall
Numerical solutions of linear equations, difference equations, ordinary and partial differential equations. Emphasis on partial differential equation solution techniques relevant to mechanical engineering.
- Interpolation, Taylor Table
- Numerical differentiation, modified wave number
- Initial value problems and stability of several different numerical schemes
- Boundary value problems
- Stiff systems
- Solution to PDEs, von-Neumann stability
- Elliptic and parabolic PDEs
The student, upon successful completion of this course, will be able to:
- Identify initial and boundary value problems and choose appropriate numerical schemes.
- Perform stability and modified wave number analysis to identify restrictions on step sizes.
- Solve systems of stiff ordinary differential equations.
- Solve elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic differential equations.